Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Des Moines?
I am moving to Des Moines from Idaho in July and was wondering if anyone had any information about the fishing around that area. What bodies of water are the best and what game fish is there to catch. I am really unfamiliar with midwest fishing. I know western fishing. If anyone can help out that would be great. Thanks

Fight4not
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, why do you wanna leave the Idaho fishing? Probably job situation, huh?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm an old Idaho boy, myself. Been all over the country. Haven't fished much of Iowa but have driven through on business and stopped to check out the resources wherever I saw water. Lots of good opportunities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You won't find many mountains and rocky streams in your new state. Most of the fishing is in manmade reservoirs and slow moving rivers/streams. You will be changing from trout to largemouth, crappies, bluegills and walleyes, with some pike and other species thrown in depending on the water. Also lots of good catfish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you get to your new home, start hanging out around the local tackle shops and asking questions. Also, check in on the website for [url "http://www.iowadnr.com/news/currentfish.html"]IOWA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES[/url] (link). There is a lot of good info there that you will need.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck in your move. Let us know when you get to your new home and post up some reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info. We'll see how things go when I get there. I am going to be living there for four years while I am in med. school. I probably won't do much fishing the first year but I'll try to fish some.
Can't wait to get into some Bass.

Fight4not
[signature]
Hey Fight4Not

Sorry I did not get a hold of you before you left. I just got busy building my house. Good luck with school and fishing in Iowa.

Keep in touch
Windriver
[signature]