Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Fire Tiger Jigs
[cool][#0000ff]You can save several dollars per mold if you shop carefully. I have probably bought more molds from Barlows over the past few years than elsewhere. Janns and Stamina have always been "spendier". But, that can change. First determine exactly the make and model you want, and then check the sources. Add in the shipping costs and go from there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]DO NOT USE TIRE WEIGHTS for pouring small jigs. It contains antimony or other hardeners that raise the melting point. That means that when you pour a small jighead, with fine detail, the lead will harden before it has a chance to fill the complete mold cavity and you will have "blems". Use only 100% pure lead..at least as pure as you can find. Even the best stuff will still develop "slag" at the top of the melting pot, from impurities that percolate out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will send you some word docs on jig making, now that you seem ready for them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks. I'll pm or email you regarding sizes and mold types before I start shopping today. I will probably start with only two molds initially, and I'll get your suggestion on the head styles to start with (I'm thinking shad dart and pony head to start, but I probably need a round head in there as well).

And the word docs would be great!
[signature]
Nice jigs! Are the larger fire tigers jigging spoons?
[signature]