Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piranha Fishing
[cool][#0000ff]Anybody wanna do some piranha fishing? Wonder what it would take to tie up some artificials.[/#0000ff]
[Image: cl060327.gif]
[signature]
I wonder how an ultralight rod would flip a cow?[Tongue]
[signature]
Just so you know. Piranha fishing can be done with an ultra light. You will be required to downsize your bait though. Alley Cats, Dingos and 3 foot Iguanas are usually the bait of choice.[cool]
[signature]
Now I know what to do with the next cow or calf I lose (die on me).

I hear that can be done on the Jordan but I need driving directions.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Flipping a cow, with an ultralight rod? I suppose you could, if you were "that type". I would start by sneaking up behind her and holding the butt end of the rod with one hand, bend back the tip with the other. Then, release the tip to smack the cow and watch her jump. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be sure you don't stand too close behind her or you may get kicked or splattered with "used hay". But, that's an "udder" issue.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Take any I-15 turnoff north of 7200 South, go west and follow your nose (untreated sewage).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The piranhas in the Jordan is mostly an urban legend. They can't live in cold water. Some of those toothy walleyes might have got things started.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
now changing the subject....I'm guessing that most of the "piranha" found in the Jordan were actually red bellied pacus. You can buy them at about any walmart or pet store. They are kind of a vegetarian cousin to the piranha, and look a lot like it without all the teeth.

The problem with these is similar to the oscar. People buy this cute little 1" long fish and put it in their small fish tank without realizing that it will grow out to 12+ inches. Pacus will grow much larger than that.

A lot of people that get these find out that even pet stores don't want to take them back at that size. They don't "have the heart" to kill them, so they dump them in their local canal or the Jordan river.

Speaking of which, I'm really surprised that the oscars never got a foothold in the Jordan or Utah Lake. They often live in similar climates as bass, and I'm sure there have been tons of them dumped into the river.

There are areas in Florida that have a LOT of fish that are not native to the area, but have over-run it because of people dumping their pets. There are tournaments in some areas there for oscars. One of the strangest is the 'clown knife'. I believe it is naturally from somewhere like thailand. I have one in my tank. I think they can get up around 40" in the right conditions. They have tournaments for those in Florida.

k, enough about that...now back to the pirahna discussion. Smile
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have worked for two companies based in the Fort Lauderdale area of Florida. I know all about the canals and ponds down there. They really are a grabbag of species. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of those fish are really great sport when they outgrow aquarium size. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the problems down there though, is other things that bite, besides fish. The huge skeeters are only the beginning. Then there are the water moccassins and then the 'gators...and in some areas there are great big eastern diamondback rattlesnakes that get to be 8 feet long.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are actually guides down there that specialize in jump fishing different canals for different species. One guy specializes in fly fishing for the big grass carp that live in many of the canals. Wierd place.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
There WAS one piranha in the either the Jordan River or Utah Lake, I can't remember which, about 10 years ago. I saw a picture of it in the paper and everything. However, it was during the hot summer and I'm sure it was an isolated fish that someone had released a day or two or a week or two earlier from their aquarium. It would never have survived the winter or even the fall when the temps started dropping.
[signature]