Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon Fly Transplant 4/8/06
[cool][#0000ff][size 1]Hey, concerned Utah fly-flingers, there is going to be another salmonfly relocation party next month. According to [/size][/#0000ff][url "http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_3653142"][#333366][size 1]ARTICLE IN TRIBUNE[/size][/#333366][/url][size 1][#0000ff] nymphs will be dredged from the Blacksmith Fork and transported to their (hopefully) new homes in the Logan River, to get them reestablished where they once thrived.[/#0000ff] [/size]
[signature]
Does any body know who the contacts are for cache valley angles,in case some one here would like to volanteer?

I hope it is a success, but I always wonder the outcome of messing with mother nature.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, you always have to wonder if the conditions have been permanently degraded, to the point that the reintroductions are doomed. In some cases it may be a case of temporary die off, due to agricultural or industrial spills, flooding, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the "olden days", there used to be a great population of pteronarchys californica in the lower Provo River, even through town. In the spring the channel cats would run up the river to spawn and would chow down on those big nymphs. I actually got in some great nymphing on channel cats in some of the lower riffles and holes, only a short distance up from the lake. Stuck a few big browns mixed in with them too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The increasing population and "additions" to the river have eliminated them, probably forever.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was about to post this but you beat me to it!
[signature]
I still see a few skins on the rocks down on the lower Provo that might be the stones you are talking about , but only a few . I always hoped they would take off on there own . This pic is one off my cork board from a few years ago and measured 2.25" .
[inline provobugskin.JPG]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looks like the critter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pteronarchys Californica's
that reminds me of those great days of my youth on the Ogden river with my dad and lill brother. in the eavnings fishing till sun down and rippin lips!
those were the days!!! OLD 35
[signature]