Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunshine, galahs and gum trees
My favourite fishing spot was not in a lake or a river and nowhere near the salty sea. <br><br>My favourite fishing spot, as a child, was on the dusty banks of the irrigation channel near our farm.<br><br>On many a sunny afternoon my brother and I would ride our bikes down to our secret spot.<br><br>There we would thread a worm onto the hook, throw in a line and then lean back against the beautiful redgum on the bank. Above us, galaries of galahs provided the entertainment - singing and chortling to each other.<br><br>Sometimes, if it was really hot, we would dangle our legs in the water. Though never for too long because the leeches were always quick to latch on.<br><br>We always caught one or two redfin. A bob on the line and we would gently pull in our catch. Reddies weren't really fighting fish and their peaceful surrender seemed somehow perfect on those lazy, still afternoons.<br><br>At milking time we would pack up our rods, dip our feet in the water one last time and then cycle home on the dusty track with our catch swinging from the handlebars. <br><br>Those were wonderful, lazy, summer afternoons. Fishing, the way it should be.<br><br> <br><br>Submit your Fishing Adventure Stories to win great prizes at ReMemory.Com