Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Dad and Me
I never really caught any fish, well not anything of any significance anyway. However I guess I could say my favorite spot was anywhere that I stood throwing a line with my Dad. My father loved fishing, he didn’t have any great claim to fame of record-breaking catches, he just loved nothing better than to stand on a bank casting his out a line into a river somewhere.<br>Dad left us a few years ago, but right up to the almost ninety years he had on this earth, his favorite pastime was fishing. Nothing grand, not all the newest fishing gear, he just enjoyed the tranquility of the water, the challenge of the catch and doing something he loved.<br><br>As a the only girl (and the youngest) in a family of five children in post war London, there weren’t a lot of activities that I or any of us kids could get too involved in outside the family home. Hardships, rations, not much money, it was up to us to make up our own entertainment.<br>Dad who had always loved fishing anyway, made fishing an activity we could all get involved in. He had his trusty old rods and reels, us kids had rods made from bits and pieces, it didn’t matter much to us if they weren’t the real thing! In fact when we first started out it was just a stick with a piece of line on it. Dad always tied a float on our line so we could see it bobbing up and down.<br><br>The preparation before we went was as much fun . . . . .. digging up worms for bait, packing our lunch, getting our boots on, all abuzz with excitement about the days ‘adventure’ ahead of us.<br>When the others grew up, it became just Dad and me. It was a special time .Of course there was great excitement if Dad caught a fish to take home but it didn’t really matter if we caught fish or not. It was a time to sit and talk and watch the water flowing past, the birds in the trees and enjoy the simple things in life.. . . . .just Dad and me.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Submit your Fishing Adventure Stories to win great prizes at ReMemory.Com