Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home made or pre-rigged?
I've noticed that over the years more and more Anglers are going to the "pre-made" rigs than actually constructing their own terminal tackle and trolling rigs. I remember when I was younger, steel wire, wire cutters & needle nose pliers, crimpers and crimp fittings were all standard equipment. Now days, when I walk down the side of the peir or look in someones tackle box, all I see is pre made rigs with a price tag on the side.

I know myself, I still hand make every rig I use, everything from make shift sambiki rigs with small gold hooks to trolling and heavy bottom fishing rigs.

How many of you out there make your rigs, and how many of you buy your rigs already made? Any particular reason?
[signature]
i like makeing my own rigs,sinkers, flies,and just got into turning my own lures.to me it helps save money,and the thrill of catching fish on my own creation.also there is always room for improvement when you get store bought,and some times the fish get use to seeing the same thing,so you can give them something different
[signature]
i just started making my own jig-heads. I am definitely a rookie! [blush]

It first became appealing to me after reading some of the threads at BFT! I also fish live or cut bait on the bottom and i need some heavier weights to keep it on the bottom, since i fish in rivers a lot more now....so i also starting pouring my own 2-5 ounces sinkers.
I also make my own slip sinkers...i have to say it is fun. [cool]

Pouring my own jig-heads is appealing as I can now have a larger hook with a small amount of weight or vice-versa.

cyas
rc
I will usually buy my Sabiki rigs and add a little touch to them for effectiveness.

I do make all my own Shark rigs though. I find it easier to control the quality of what I'm using by making my own. I make some with and some without a sliding sinker on the rig.

The sinker helps when you are fishing a soaker bait from the shore, pier or boat.[cool]
[signature]
I tell you something that might help you out on the river scene. I take it you are fishing bodies of water with a pretty strong current, I have the same problem. I tell ya what I found to work pretty good, flat sinkers. They are round and flat, but they hold the bottom better than pyramid weights, and you don't have to have such a heavy lead either; so you'll save money as well. I buy mine, but I get them in bulk from a local tackle store. I couldn't make them for what I buy them for there. They work really well. I've even gone as far as substituting my egg weights for those on my slip rigs for Drum and other species because of thier holding power.
[signature]
hey thanks for the tip
I think i will break out my small hammer and modify some of the ones i've poured and see what happens.

cyas
rc
[cool][#0000ff]I have always been a "do-it-my-ownself" kinda guy. I started tying flies when I was about 7 years old and have graduated over the years into making all kinds of lures, building rods, etc. I learned early how to tie loops and snells, to make my own pier fishing rigs as a youngster in southern California. In fact, I used to make extra money by tieing up dropper rigs for the bait shops on the piers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As many BFTers know by now, I pour and paint a wide variety of jig heads (almost 40 different molds). The one thing I try to get across to everybody is that if you take up tacklecraft to save money, you may be disappointed. It can cost a few bucks before you ever turn out your first jig. But...the real benefit is being able to get exactly what you want, for the type of fishing you do, without having to settle for what the tackle supplier says you want.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The same is true of making leaders and wire rigs. Conditions can change and the needs for anglers (and fish preferences) can change too. By knowing what the possible needs might be, and having your own "premade rigs"...or the materials to make your own...you can sometimes be catching fish while others are zipping.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I make my own rigs, cant buy what I use any where....

it cost a little more to make my own but it is well worth it in my book..
[signature]