Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Powell
We hit Powell Friday about 10 morning time the wind was doing about 15 to 20mph...

We fished around the bay (Wahweap) with only a few hook ups so we make the run to Warm creek hooked up on a few smallies strippers, catfish, largemouth walleyes crappes and blue gills and war mouths all on MOJO drop shots and Sink-os....

The lures we used was gulp minnows and we was tring out some of the new freeformfishing colors for sink-os and other lures....

On Friday we caught around 40 fish we left the water around 4:00 to get our room...

Saturday we hit the water about 6:00 to 6:30 and headed to Rock Creek the morning was great no wind yet, we hit some of the small coves on the way in Rock creek and was on fish...

We found fish on beds and just about every point and rock pile the wind started about 11:00 and stopped about 4:30 we boated over 100 fish of all types and sizes all came on drop shots and Sink-os......
Sunday morning was as good we fished Wahweap, Bay the time we left about 11:00 we had boated about 40 to 50 fish of all types CBR took the pictures and posted them on the other site....

[signature]
What size/style hook did you use with the dropshots and senkos? Also, did you post this report on Wayne's Words.com? I am sure they would appreciate if if you haven't. Thanks for all the info.
[signature]
It has been posted there.... I like to use a #1 and a #3 Yamamoto Gamakatsu split shot hook to drop shot and wacke-0 with.....

[signature]
So did you get your motor mount fixed? Sounds like you guys had a very sweet trip.
[signature]
Nice report Cliff, you must have an unlimted fishing budget[cool]to hit Powell so often.
When you say you caught a few War Mouths, I did not realize Powell had them, I thought those pan fish were only in waters back East? WH2
[signature]
Turns out what I was catching was green sunfish. They look real similar to warmouth though.
[signature]
Fishing is my job so I go as mush as I can all the time, Its a ruff job but we can't let the fish get the best of us....[cool][Wink]

[signature]
Hey Cliff, where do I apply for a job like yours, I want to fish as much as I can all the time, sounds like a fun job[Smile]

CBR- this isn't very good but here is a Warmouth and bluegill picture, from what I've read the warmouth is a very aggressive fish.
[signature]
They were green sun fish witch I have been told that they were war mouths witch has about two times as big of mouth as a blue gill and loves to hit grubs and any other lures that you put in the rocks...

[signature]
Sounds like you have heard the same info that I have. That picture of the warmouth does show the larger mouth and I guess because they are so aggressive the are also endangered. At least according to the site I was reading.
[signature]
I can't see how they would be endangered you can throw a grub at about any rock pile at Powell and get a bite but most are to small to hook....

[signature]
I was just quoting what the web site said where I got the pictures of the fish I attached above. Here are a couple more that I found on another site. I have caught a few of the Green Sunfish below Culter dam. Do you think it look similar to the fish you caught?
[signature]
Here is a photo of what I caught.

[Image: normal_warmouth.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Green sunfish...all the way. Nice size too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They have larger mouths, in proportion, than bluegills, and they are more prone to hit larger lures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No warmouth in Utah. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
That looks just like the ones I've caught below Culter dam and come to think about it, I've also caught a few by the dam at Flaming Gorge.
[signature]