Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alarming News!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]To whom it may concern,[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]This mornings Tribune came out with some serious news to Tube Dude and Family. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Utah Lake fish are full of PCB (cancer stuff). That is Carp And Cat. Now I know TD eats these kitties and that can be very bad according to Ed Kent.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]I am sure you have read this or someone has said something to you, and I hope you have escaped any ill effects from this.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Keep us informed please![/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
[#505000]It certainly is disheartning. I love that lake, but with a steel mill, on the banks and the raw seweage that was being pumped into the lake 30 years ago, it's not a big shocker.[/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Fortunately most all the stuff that caused this problem in the first place is long gone. I have been eating fish out of Utah Lake, and I plan to continue doing so. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Maybe I'm fool hardy, but I plan to keep eating Utah Lake Cats. I would guess these PCBs have been in the lake/fish for decades. People have been eating these fish for about as long. I would also guess the maximum safe levels are dramatically lower than what really is safe anyway. [/#505000]
[#505000][/#505000]
[#505000]Sure makes me wish I could go back to the 60's and 70's and throttle some Geneva Steel Exec's and all the idiot cities who thought Utah Lake was a dumping ground. It reminds me of when I was a wee boyscout and did a bike ride around the lake. I remember a huge Roundup (herbicide) barrel out floating in the lake. It really bothered me as a kid and the memory is seared into my mind. I can still see it in my mind clear as crystal bobbing in the lake like it was yesterday.[/#505000]

[#505000]I have seen the lake quality improve dramatically since I was a wee boyscout, but this recent finding isn't a huge shocker.[/#505000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Everybody is still awaiting results of new tests on some of the other species. But, even if there is an elevated level in the other fish it will not keep me from fishing Utah Lake. Too much fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anyway, I kinda like glowing in the dark. Cuts down on my need for a night light.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a link to a website with some info on PCB. [url "http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts17.html"]LINK TO SITE[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Poor Blinky.
[signature]
Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do, pending the tests on the other species, as far as eating UL fish?
[signature]
No wonder....at night I look west at the sky and notice the glowing green light....Just kidding
I wonder about Lake Michigan that is only 30 miles away from were I live about it having pcp and things like that too.
I remember Lake Erie..it was a wiped out and fishless lake from all that years ago. Today it is a great fishery. I donno about eatting from both lakes....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I doubt that I will stop eating them. School is still out on the effects of PCBs. I have been eating them all my life. I am in my sixties and can still whup my weight in wildcats and have never had a major illness. That stuff did not just magically appear. Don't know anybody else that has developed any extra appendages either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I did find this for all interested parties:
[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/06-05/utah_lake_carp.php"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/06-05/utah_lake_carp.php[/url]
[signature]