Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Shad Question?
Has anyone marked shad schools on there fishfinder before at Willard Bay,I have been there plenty of times and cant recall anytime that I have marked shad on my fishfinder,I have marked big schools of perch at deer creek and at jordonell last year,One time I was over by the lite pole and the shallow alarm went off and said I was in 3 ft of water and then went back to 14ft the depth that I was trolling in.Is this the way they show up at willard,like the bottom just came up to the boat,If this is the case how could you folow the school and fish around it?

Tight Lines

Tony[Wink]
[signature]
[cool]Come'on predator or blm or anyone that fishes willard,what do you see when you find a school of shad,what have you noted,what is your fishfinder doing,I know its early to be talking about willard but need some info so I can catch a walleye or two this year.LOL

Thanks for any info,if this post falls off the edge again I will let it die.

Thanks,Tony[cool]
[signature]
Ok, Ok, I dont think many people like to say "that blob on my screen is a _________." I personally have noticed that with the higher end finders you can get a feel for the different type of fish on your finder. For instance on willard, when I catch walleye I generally see marks very similar to a trout. But wipers send back a very different picture. I am not sure if thier air bladder is a different shape or size, I just know it looks different. What do shad look like? Well I cant remember one specific time when the shad have blacked out my screen, generally I can see through them. I have seen them come in quite solid bands before. I have been quite excited at times when my screen went black with what I hoped were fish, but it was air bubble release off the bottom or just a real strong signal return in shallow water with too much sensitivity. The very small shad that the wipers are feeding on, 0+ 1+ fish, are going to be quite small internally so the signal you recieve will be quite small comparitivley. Next summer, get a hold of me, we will have to go out fishing and I will show you what they look like on my finder. My scedule;s filling up though, we have to get kent out there and turn him into a pure bred wiper catching machine, and I have decided to take it upon myself to convert the IFG into a liquid ice man, and theres no better fish to do that with than a wiper.
[signature]
It depends on the fish finder but I have seen spikes that come up from the bottom, when I know there is no structure and that is what I think the shad look like. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sorry, Tony, I haven't really been keeping up on the Willard posts. It's hard to see shad with such a small sonar cone in shallow water besides having to run the boat over the top of them which can't help but scatter them. Now I've see bait fish in Lake Mead and Bear Lake which like Predator says looks like a big blob or cloud that can cover the screen. In Willard, I think if you see them on your screen they will look like interference as they scatter, depending on the depth, because if you're moving you'll only see them for a short time.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've seen blobs or ball, that where suspended in the water column, of what, I consider to be shad but they could be a lot of things like an algae bloom or any other thing like water density. WH2 talks about vertical lines coming off the bottom. I do know that Willard has it's own aquatic plants and you can see those on sonar. So to answer your question I really don't know but I also have not really concerned myself with it except in passing,(as the boat went by) [/size][/font]
[signature]
I look forward to the conversion attempt. When I win the big money this weekend, I'll take you into the high country in style. No more back packs for me....no sir, it will be Llamas for all. All I have to do is survive the weather at Sulpher Creek, it was -22 this morning. Even the IFG thinks this is just a bit cold. Gotta go get ready.

IFG