Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine Ice
I drove up to Porcupine to catch a few Kokes this morning. There is open water for about 6 feet and then only about 1" of ice for about 15' (about as far as I can throw a head sized rock.)

Not wanting to waste a 4 hour round trip I drove up to Echo and fished a couple hundred feet out from the boat ramp. In about an hour I caught about 50 5" to 6" perch in 30' of water. I moved around a lot but couldn't find the "8 to 10 inch" perch that have been reported.

You will need to take a plank about 8 or 10 foot long to get on the ice. The ice looks pretty scary but was about 8" thick out about 15'

If the weather dosen't cool down there won't be any ice anywhere to fish, and then not water to fish in next summer

fdg
[signature]
That was a heck of a detour for you to get to Echo but thanks for the info on Porcupine. Last weekend I fished there on 6" of clear, solid, and extremely slick ice. It's amazing how fast ice can deteriorate. I hope Pineview hasn't gone that far yet. I'm not tired of the ice yet plus my boat isn't ready to launch either.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Well you need to get that boat ready and quite playin' around on that ice before you fall down and hurt yourself![sly][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]How'd you get a kitchen pass away from that new house long enough to go fishin'? You should see Hyrum. Any day the ice will be gone! They say next week will cool down again but we'll just have to wait and see how cold it will get and if things will freeze up again. I'd bet on the come and get the boat ready....[/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice one, Fish-Dog: Iwas going to check out Porcupine myself tomorrow, but you saved me the ride up.
Maby I"ll just book-it to Echo,[Smile] By your and some other posts, Echo sounds like a happen place.
[signature]
Pineview will scare the crap out of you. Theres plenty of ice under the two inches of melted ice that is now slush, but if we get more warm weather pineview may be unfisable by the end of next week. You wont catch me back out there again this year. The ice melt from last saturday is amazing. Theres lots of depressions holding the water on top of the ice and the crust is soft and sluhy, you will need a plank to get on pineview as well. One guy fell through today trying to get on without a board. Looks like the ice fishing is about over for the year. I am guessing mantua is very unsafe if it is anything like hyrum and pineview. I am passing on the ice fishing for saturday and breaking out the boat so it will be ready for next weekend. Looks like a walleye trip to yuba or willard is in order.
[signature]