Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Report
Fished Starvation Saturday afternoon and Sunday am. Fished with a nightcrawler on slip sinker, trying for walleye but really got into the smallmouth up to 19". Only got one walleye. Wind was wicked on Saturday (the better bite) and boat position was tough. Surprsingly, never got a perch bite. Last autumn we really got some large perch and thought that we might find some - but none this trip.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the report. I had planned to go over there this week but will be delaying it until next week.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What part of the lake did you fish, and how deep? Also, did you get a water temp?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was there this weekend too .... had to try out the new boat that I had to wait three weeks after selling my old one.... [Tongue]... hard to be boat-less for that long! Sat AM we went down to the Strawberry inlet - water temps were only 53 degrees! Tried for an hour - nothing. Ran up to the "wash" area right near the sandy beach and found the water temps up near 62 degrees. Managed one walleye and missed a few. When I got back to the campground, a fellow next door had managed 9 walleyes that morning - but said he lost his stringer .... hmmmmm I was a little suspicious of a fish story here so I went to the area he told me in the evening and I watched as he landed three or four walleyes and a few bass. Me? One fish again... what was I doing wrong???[crazy] Sunday AM, I was again in the same place and realized just how much faster he was trolling than I was, so I jacked up the speed to around 3 MPH and lo and behold - - I started catching them as well (ended up with seven walleyes and two nice perch by 11 AM). Spinners w/crawlers behind a slip-sinker in around 13 feet of water. Green was the preffered diet of those fish that became my dinner. Anybody wanting to catch a few 'eyes should be thinking about Starvation in the next week to two weeks as the water temp is just about to turn on the feeding frenzy (in my opinion). If you see a bright yellow Tahoe boat - say hello! Not like you can miss the color lol!
[signature]
sk8heaven: Ha!! [shocked]

I think we may have been camped next to you to the east. You had the nice yellow Tahoe with the trolling set-up for 4 rods (which I was REALLY admiring). What style trolling mounts are those and are they removable for travel? Also did you have a little spaniel dog? I should have been more friendly, but had our camper set-up on it's maiden voyage and was trying to figure out how everything works. Also all my rods were fouled up and I spent some time trying to re-rig and changing spools.

I also ran down to the Strawberry inlet on Sunday with no luck. Water was 55 degrees and I only marked fish along the middle of the channel. Also fished under the bridge for a while. Then proceeded up to the wash and saw one boat taking a few fish near one of the hazard bouys. I got the smallmouth along the west shoreline on rock drop-offs in 15' to 25' depths.
[signature]
Hey! You had the Tracker next to me?? lol too funny! The rod holders are from Cabellas - deck or side mount - and the holders do come off for travel or covering - just the base stays put - but they are so solid I just leave them on. And the Spaniel was mine - 12 years old and just absolutely fish crazy - hope he didn't bother you! I understand about the being pre-occupied - - new setups can keep you busy (I mean, I neglected to wander your direction too [blush]). Hope to run into you again in the future!
[signature]
[cool]Nice report. Any size to that 'eye you caught? Someday I'm gonna fish that lake...
[signature]
sk8heaven:

Yep - the tracker was me! We've had a springer and two golden retrievers so we love dogs and you have a 12 year old gentlemen! No trouble at all.

Starvation walleyes seem to elude me, but that lake has a lot of structure and variety so we're going to try it again - maybe soon. By the way those are some nice walleye.
[signature]
OFT:

The 'eye was only about 14". But I was pretty surprised by the smallies. Got probably eight over 12" with lots of smaller fish.
[signature]
Lettsfish: I am working the next 8, then my son-in-law is probably coming for the period June 14 - 19 - hope to hit Willard (first time ever) and Starvation on the weekend.... let's "hook" up if you get over that way!
[signature]