Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge - June 1 thru June 4 - WOW!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]IceFishingGod and I headed for Flaming Gorge and arrived late in the afternoon on May 31. We were to meet up with Jim Williams of Creative Fishing Adventures (tarponjim) in the morning for the first of two days of pursuing Flaming Gorge's legendary gigantic lake trout. Hopefully, the fish gods would be kind and put us on some good fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We met Jim at the bottom of Lucerne Valley Marina ramp at 6:30 am and we headed out. Jim is known for his predatory jigging technique and his trips are more like hunting than fishing. Find the right fish put the sneak on them. If the presentation is right and the stars and planets are aligned, the wary lake trout, which have seen every type of lure so many times, may decide to make the strike and attack the the jig. Presentation is everything. One wrong move in the delivery and the fish swims away knowing the angler gave himself away and blew any chance of nailing the fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We started in an area Jim had fished the previous day with great results and hoped to repeat the same success. The fish had been willing and eager to feed even if it was the precisely, presented jigs.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We managed two smaller macks, both under 15 lbs, but not picture worthy. We also missed a few other strikes.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Now, one would think that large lake trout would strike with a vengeance. Not so. It is amazing how softly and how quickly these fish hit. You see the tip barely move and if the angler does not set the hook, the soft, quick strike results in a miss. If the angler sees the strike and his timing is on, the hook up is unmistakable. A bent rod and the feel of weight, sometimes, a lot of weight is the reward.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]After a very subtle hit, I set the hook and felt that unmistakable weight of a good fish. the fish however rocketed away from the boat, a characteristic not exhibited by large fish but usually by smaller fish. The fish continued to run with much zest but after a few runs, the fish finally gave in. To our delight, the fish proved to be a very nice fish. Jim netted the fish and weighed it. Nice Fish! 31 pounds! Not the pup we anticipated.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline 31_mack_6-2006.jpg][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We released the fish and continued to look for more fish. We fished the same area then decided to move on. Jim decided to check out an area he had not used this season. After surveying the area, we dropped on the fish. I proceed to miss the first two strikes but third time was a charm and I finally got the hook set right.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]This fish fought BIG. For the first 5 minutes of the fight, the fish did not give an inch. Slow but surely, I started gaining ground but I'd take line and the fish would take it back. This fish had so much heart and fought the fight we all love to see in big fish. Check this rod out. What a beast![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline 28_hook_up_6-2006.jpg] [/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We finally got the fish to the side of the boat. Both myself and the big mack were played out with me winning the battle once Jim put the fish in the net. I had figured the fish would go well over 30 pounds after tackling the 31 pounder earlier that day but no matter how much we wished, the fish went at a decent 28 pounds. That fish was a fighter and was everything a lake trout fisherman yearns for. I was very satisfied and with much reverence released the fish to fight another day. Here's the bad boy. I'm glad my face is shadowed out because this fish definitely deserves the spotlight. What a great fish![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline 28_mack_6-2006.JPG][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We moved on to another area after, as Jim says, "We cooked that spot the right way" and after surveying the area, we dropped on another stack of fish. In short order, IFG set the hook and brought this 21 pound laker to the boat. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline 21_mack_6-2006.jpg][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We continued to search and fish but both IFG and I could not get another fish to the boat. Jim's presentation required intense concentration and after 11 hours on the water we both were losing our ability to focus and missed several hits. Fatigue had set in. We were cooked and headed in. The final tally was several missed hits, 4-5 fish unbuttoned, and 5 fish to the boat. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]IFG and I had barely enough energy to get back to the trailer to clean up, grab some dinner and a few brewskis at the Villa, and hit the sack before it got dark. What an great day![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We were back at the ramp bright and early, ready to do it again. We returned to the same area I had caught the 28 pound mack. The area had shown a lot of willing fish the day before. We were hoping that they were willing to play again. We made our drop and shortly after both IceFishingGod and I hooked up at the same time. WooHoo! A double![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Both fish tore drag as the fish tried to elude their tormentors. This was a repeat of the fight of yesterday and I was anxious to see Scott and I in a picture with a two fine lakers. Alas, it was not meant to be. My fish, which was stripping drag and doubling my rod, decide to change it's strategy and turned abruptly and raced towards me. I tried to take up all the line to get good tension back on the fish but it was not meant to be. The fish spit the hook and any chance to have the elusive double hook up picture was gone.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]IFG, in the mean time was battling his own fish. The fish continued to take drag and was running for the bottom when, POP! The fish came unbuttoned and the game was over. BLM & IFG - ZERO, Lake Trout - TWO.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We moved on, licking our wounds. Wow, that seemed to take all the wind of our sails. We relocated and fished several other groups of fish but the fish wanted no part of our jigs and we could only manage a couple more bites in the next few hours and no fish. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]After the long day before, I started wearing out around 12:00 pm. The muscles between my shoulder blades were a mass of knots and my concentration was on my back and not my presentation. The wind started to come on as predicted by the weather forecast. Boat control was getting tougher but not impossible and Jim did an excellent job, After missing a couple more strikes, I decided I was more of a hindrance and decided to to put the rod down and watch IFG fish. IFG decided he'd give the fish a break just to cover my butt. We headed in with stiff breezes but still fishable. Day's tally, the missed double and several missed hit but no fish. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We headed back to the KOA, a little humbled but still happy we were able to get out and give'em hell. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We soaked our sorrow in a few beers. Tomorrow was a new game and one both IFG and I looked forward to. We were to meet Jared Johnson of Shasta Tackle (sockeyeslayer) and learn the finer points of catching Flaming Gorge's land locked salmon, the kokanee.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We met Jared at the dock at 5:00 am. The sun was just starting to show over the mountains as we left the marina and we were fishing by quarter to six. Jared's boat, E-fish-n-sea, a beautifully outfitted Grady White, has all the bells and whistles a devoted kokanee addict requires. [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]With a wide assortment of sling blades, humdingers, and apexes, Jared and IFG proceed to lay lines from the surface to 35 foot deep. I, not being a big kokanee guy but wanting to learn, hung back and watched how it was done. No sooner had we got the first line out when the line released from the downrigger and a silver rocket flew from the water. Fish on! We brought the fish in and admired the aerodynamic shape and the dark back and silver sides of the koke. What beautiful fish![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][inline Rich_Kokanee_6-2006.JPG][/size][/black][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We had very little time to admire the first fish when another line released and another fish broke water and flew through the air 100 ft behind the boat. The fish came in fairly easy until it neared the boat. A surge of energy hit the fish and it raced from side to side of the boat and jump three or four times before the fish could be netted. The shear energy and acrobatics of these fish was amazing and they repeated this scene over and over again.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]One fish, decided to tangle himself in the main motor's prop while up to his antics and put a temporary halt to our fishing so that the line could be removed from the main motor's prop.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline prop_tangle_6-2006.JPG][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Jared, being the congenial host, insisted that both IFG and I reel in the fish which were quickly released and an occasional koke put into the box to take home for a fine kokanee dinner. Jared ran the boat, set the lines, netted the fish and all the while instructed us in the finer points of sockeye slaying! [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]After catching 20 or more fish, Jared wanted to show us some other popular kokanee areas and hopefully hook into some of the bigger Wyoming fish. We reached the ranch house area and laid lines. The fishing wasn't as fast but the fish were larger. We boated fish and after about an hour and a half, decided to head south again.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/left] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][black][inline IFG_Kokanee_6_2006.jpg][/black][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We return to pipeline area of the lake and continued to catch kokanee. Sockeyeslayer showed why he is such an efficient kokanee fisherman. When things slowed or changed, Jared adapted and we continued to catch fish. I was simply amazed at the number of kokanee we boated. What a great day to learn the art of catching kokes. We boated over forty fish and took limits home to enjoy. Thanks, Jared![/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][/left] [left][/left] [center][inline ifg_kokanee_limits_6-2006.JPG] [/center] [center][/center] [left][/left]
[signature]
What a great report Rich! Nice work on the beautiful fish. It sounds like it was a very, very good trip. I'll bet you learned a lot. Now you need to impart your knowledge to us peeps!
[signature]
[cool] [font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sweeeeeeeet! [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Damn. I am so excited to be going out next month with Jim and get a chance at throwin the steel to one of them hogs![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am going to go out each day and start sitting in my boat in the driveway and start practicing my hook setting technics to build the back muscles![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Maybe i can get my daughter to yank the line for me a little. HEHE![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]NIce fishes guys.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Old Coot, Does that make your old ticker just want to skip a beat or what.[/size][/font]
[signature]
WOW! THATS SOME NICE FISH!

You guys done good. It looks like Jim and [font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]sockeyeslayer are a couple good guys to fish with. Thanks for the great report and the pictures.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Well..to say it was a great 3 days of fishing might be an understatement. Let me explain about fishing with Jim; while BLM and I landed no fish on Friday we sure did have our chances. Fishing with Jim I have learned the 3 critical things about Mack fishing.

1. When Jim shows you how to set the hook.... listen. I'm stuck in my old ways of throwing the steel to them with a big old Jimmy Houston hook set. It don't work well. Tap and stab is what I call his method, seems to work much better than mine. 100 more times fishing with him and I just might listen, until then, I will suck at setting the hook.

2. Never give up hope. After losing that double I was done. Not physically but mentally. He put us on fish but I just couldn't get over the fact of losing that double (both good fish by the way). BLM said "Get over it and cry at the dock" , easier said then done. Jim said "You are one tap away from being a hero", I was so pissed (at myself) I just quit on myself. Don't do that.

3. Never, and I mean ever estimate the size of your fish during the fight. Because big fish never do that, right Jim?

On fishing with Jared.

If you didn't attend one of his seminars you really missed out. He has no secrets and really want's all of us to catch fish. We did nothing different from what he said during the workshop at Sportsmens Warehouse.
If you get the time it would be in your best interest to go. The guy knows his stuff. Plus, he let me run his riggers so I felt like I was contributing.
I'm heading up this Saturday to try it on my own, we'll see if I learned anything.

I love that lake and I love this board for giving me the chance to meet awesome people like Jim, BLM, and Jared. I bought a camera and a photo printer from Jedburton over the phone and got to meet him and his family this weekend too. It was great to put a face with a name.
And to think, I'm deathly afraid of liquid ice.

IFG
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like a trip of lifetime memories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You know you had a good time when it takes a week at work to recover.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sweet Rich & Scott, happy for you, and thanks for sharing with us.
[signature]
Nice job fellas! Sounds like an awesome 3 days! Great fish and great pics.
[signature]
Wow!!!! Way to go guys! Great report and photo's Rich!!!! Those are some awesome fish!

It's easy to see why you speak so highly of Jim!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
IT WAS MY PLEASURE SPENDING TIME WITH YOU AND SCOTT...COULDN'T IMAGINE 2 QUICKER "FRIEND'S", YOU GUY'S ARE WELCOME ANYTIME AND I MEAN THAT. I LOVE HAVING THE OPPURTUNITY TO SHOWCASE MY LOVE FOR KOKANEE WITH OTHER PEOPLE WANTING TO LEARN IT'S WHAT KEEP'S ME GOING SO TO SPEAK!!
YOU HAD A HELL OF A GUIDE IN JIMMY HE BAR NONE KNOW'S THE JIGGING TECHNIQUE THAT WE ALL HOPE TO ONE DAY MASTER (BACK MUSCLES..WILLING), AND YOU BOTH DESERVE THE KIND OF RESULT'S THAT YOU GOT. I LOOK FORWARD TO OUR TRIP'S OF THE FUTURE AND I AM GLAD YOU BOTH HAD A GREAT TIME i CAN SAY MADDY AND I DID!! LET ME KNOW IF I MIGHT BE OF ANY HELP AND THANK'S FOR THE KIND WORD'S I REALLY APPRECIATE THE PAT ON THE BACK.....CONGRADULATION'S AGAIN
JARED JOHNSON SHASTA TACKLE CO.
[signature]
What.... no fur and feathers?

Looks like I fished the wrong side of that Cement wall this weekend!! Way to go guys!!
[signature]
Wow, great report, great trip, and some great fish! Looks like you had a really good time and a trip to remember. Thank you for all the wonderful information you provide us on this website and the great fishin stories. We all appreciate it very much. May your next trip be as good as your last. John R.[Smile]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Just to not make the wrong impression about the "back issue", I'm a 49 year old, 10 hour a day desk jockey that has two herniated disks and could use an excerise program. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to my back. There are people who book trips and fish with Jim for a week straight without adverse effects. My problem may not be a problem for you. Jim also showed me a more efficient way to manipulate my rod (no jokes please!) which I plan on using on my next trip with him in August.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
GREAT REPORT BUDDY... I KNOW ALL ABOUT THE BACK PAIN HIS TECHNUIQE PRODUCES. AFTER LAST YRS TRIP MY BACK WAS FINE NO PROBLEMS. AFTER MY CAR WRECK BROKE MY BACK AND HEREATEATED MY T 8 THIS YRS TRIP WAS VERY PAINFUL. NOT ONLY IN MY BACK BUT IN MY HOOK SET ABILLITY. 14 BITES WITH ONE WEEK HOOK SET THAT RESULTED IN THE FISH THROWING THE JIG. BUT EVEN AFTER NOT CATCHING FISH THIS TRIP WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY IN FUN AND LAUGHS. FISHING WITH JIM IS ON MY TO DO LIST EVERY YR UNTIL THE END. IFG KICKED TAIL LAST YR AS I DID. THIS YR WAS CHUCKS AND YOURS ALL THE WAY.
[signature]
Hey I just wanted to pipe in here. It was fun talking fishing with you guys out there and meeting you. Thanks for all the mack help. I didn't get a chance to try for them on this trip, but next time I am hoping to try for some. Monday was a beautifull day. The fishing was a little slow, but my wife and I managed to limit out on the kokes. They were really nice sized ones so I didn't mind. I will try and post some pics later. Anyway I hope I get to fish with you guys one of these days,
jed Burton
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850] Wow! ... I think I'll just re-read all this again it is so good.

A month from today, Rileyfish, Bait_Caster, and myself head for TarponJim Gorge Boot Camp for the first time. Definitely looking forward to it. But with mine and Terry's bad backs, you can bet we will pack plenty of vitiman "M"otrin.

Great fishing report guys![/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"I am going to go out each day and start sitting in my boat in the driveway and start practicing my hook setting technics to build the back muscles!"[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Wait!!! You don't set the hook with your back, or even your arms for that matter. Its all in the wrists. You're back gets sore from standing and rocking in all the boat wakes, but the back and arm muscles should be completely relaxed while you're fishing. It's SPEED in the hook-set, not power. The hook point is only a half-inch long at best, and after I sharpen it, it penetrates the soft mouth of a lake trout with the slightest snap of the wrists. But it better be a damn-fast snap! See you next month. [sly][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]And by the way, for anyone who's never fished with Rich or Scott, they're great guys, know how to have some fun, and understand what this process we call fishing is all about. Most guys just think they do. These guys get it. Not just the science and techniques (though the're pretty sharp on that, too), but I mean the big picture of what's going on in the watery world, why we fish the way we do, and deeper issues other than "what are they bitin' on and where are they." They're fish philosophers. I just love fishing theories, and we tossed around a bunch of 'em (with no conclusions!!!) Thanks to both of them. They don't just fish. They're Fishermen. There IS a difference.[/font]
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip . Congrats on some fine fish !!
[signature]
About dang time.nice job guy's look's like ya had a ball.later Ash
[signature]
Oh yeah, I skipped a rock seven times once...[Wink]. I'm headed to the Gorge in July. Sounds like you guys had a blast. I would be happy with just actually catching a mack.
I heard they raised the limit on smaller macks for the sake of the kokes, where is the best place to target the "smaller" macks maybe I can take advantage of the current regs.
[signature]