Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redmond
So I was just wondering if anyone had tried redmond this year for pike? I would like to give them another go on the fly rod, but haven't heard how it is fishing this year. Anyone know? thanks.
[signature]
I dont' know about Redmond (sorry), but I do know that Yuba is LOADED with Pike right now. [url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1514"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1514[/url]
[signature]
Thats a sweet pic PBH. thanks for sharing. I tried yuba once already this year, and didn't even entice a single bite, but it may have been the wrong time of year... I have seen a couple pics of pike caught out of there from tubedude from last year, but havent heard of many people catching them this year. Anyone have any tips or recccomendations for pike on the fly?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The water is warming, the spawns are over and the predators are on the prowl. If you are after pike, fish the upper end of the lake or the coves and points around the narrows. Try to find areas where brushy points come down into the water, although the water level seems to be dropping a bit now. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The perch are setting up in fairly shallow water and the pike are following them. There are some right in the cove between the bridge and the dam. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want them on flies, think big with hair or feathers in yellows, oranges and gold. There are lots of bass flies in perch colors that should work. But, the pike are also munching on young of the year carp, so just a big yellow and gold streamer or zonker will work too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be sure to use a heavy mono or light wire leader ahead of your flies or you will donate them to the toothy critters. There are recent tales of guys trolling Rapalas for trout that have heavy hits and bring in neatly cut lines.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big key is to find the fish. They are not everywhere around the lake but there does seem to be quite a few of them. If you can find baitfish there should be some pike in the vacinity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got several last year right near the dam, when the fathead minnows were swarming that area and the trout, perch and pike were all hanging out in the same area. I got mine by working a spinner in less than 10 feet of water, right next to the rocks of the dam or the riprap on the other side of the bridge. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good thing about pike is if they can see your fly or lure, and it looks good to them, they will move a long ways to smack it. In shallow weedy areas where I have fished them elsewhere, you can see the arrow on the surface as they zoom in from many feet away to munch your flies. Fun, fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]