Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Texas Rivers
3 Feb 03 Spring Up-date

God bless the U.S.A. and all of the dear families whose lives were directly touched by the "Shuttle" mishap. Remember the good times and pray extra during the tough times. Peace on earth to all; remembering this "lost mission" was for the advancement and good of "all" man kind!

Greetings; the weather may be having it's ups and downs with the shifting fronts from the north, but at least the rods are continuing to bend!

Technique or numbers; you get the choice of how you want to fill the cooler with fish. I currently have been working three different patterns of which all are producing fish, just at different rates. Actually it's how much work and attention you want to involve before the rods bend. The great part is that we've been on nice fish, every trip for the past two weeks. As I said; different techniques produce fish at different rates with each being educating in it's own way. Finesse to trolling, the Whites keep storming the boat.

Of the last fifteen years I've been guiding here, these are some of the healthiest fish in consistent numbers I ever recall seeing. Fiery and full of action, ranging up to about 3 lbs., the White bass personality continues to thrill most everyone using light tackle. Minnow imitations with a good presentation, varying speeds as the weather changes, continues to keep filling the fish box, daily. With the liberal limits of 25 each, days of 50-80 keepers make for great bags of fillets.

Water levels are up almost 15 feet higher than over the past decade. This and lack of the gusty 'northers' appears to have these fish moving in larger quantities, earlier than usual. In monitoring the progressive "egg stages" in the females, seem to be showing almost 3 different stages which hopefully means we should continue to stay on the whites for another month, hopefully! Nature can sure change things up in a hurry, so if catching fish is on your agenda; putting the kids on an active bite; or impressing the wife or girl friend with sound reasoning of why you need to fish more; these are some of the most reliable and productive patterns you can put them on.

Well, need to go and gas the boat, re-tie some knots, and sort the jigs; for tomorrow is another day to do battle with those crazy little white fish. So, until your next nibble occurs; "............ may screaming drags and monstrous fish romp in your dreams!" Take care, hug your kids, pet the dog, and thank your significant other for understanding the need to do the fishy thing......... Jeff
Trips available 7 days / week Cell# 210-383-11119 Off: 210-649-2435
[signature]
fishywah,
You deserve "A GREAT BIG TEXAS WELCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!"
Your report about the White Bass is great news for many Texas anglers. In past years most I had heard about only averaged in the 1lb to 2lb rainge. A 3lb white in the South Texas Rivers was fue and far at best. What areas do you guide in?
As the Texas board here at BFT is still young and just starting to grow. Your report is a great addition to the board. I hope you will be posting more in the near future.
I will be watching for your future posts of wisdom with antisapation.
If you get a free day during the Texas Getogether of BFT members down at Port Aransas, Come on down. It is a great way to put a face to names here at the boards. You will find details and dates posted on the board.
Again I need to WELCOME YOU ABOARD!
[signature]
Greetings; the fish are of pretty good quality this year. If the weather would cooperate a little more, things would be more consistent, but this is what makes it spring fishing.
I specialize in the big Red fish and hybrids at Calaveras and Braunig lake in San Antonio. The blue cats are a favorite on lite tackle as they suspend in their summer patterns. Please visit my web page for more info when you haven't anything else to do. Thanks, Jeff Southwest Fishing Charters < www.texasfishingguides.org/snyder >
[signature]
fishywah,
It is the same high quality down on the Gulf with the satwater Reds this year. 2003 sure is looking to be a possable record year. I do have to agree we got to have the weather cooperate a little more.

I knew when I looked at your profile that you wher very familure to me but I could not put my finger in it!
Now that I have had a look at your site, it is a whole differant story!
Others might not agree but I do not care! I think you are one of the biggest and best known Angling celebrity's in the Great Lone Stare State. Your hosting of the cable show "Fishing Texas" Was a great show. I kinda miss it tho. I no longer have cable so I don't even know if the show is still on.

It is truly an honner to have you on our growing Texas forum.

I hope you get some free time in April (I know that is not likely) to come on down to Port Aransas for our first BFT Texas Get Together. The biggest day is on Saturday the 12th as it is the last day of the Get Together and also a Friendly Tournament of BFT members and friends.
Just having you there would be a great honner!
If you can make it remember to bring some gear and a cam. This is not going to be a work day but a day of fun and relaxation for all.
[signature]
Thanks; it's great to know there are still those who enjoy the sport and friendship of other fisherman with talents they may have. A shame so many are intimidated by talent rather than open for education. One of the greatest things I have ever learned came from a 10 year old boy; I found out that in watching birds fly in their "V" formations was for drafting purpose-enabling easier flight. This I knew. But do you really know why one side is "always" longer than the other???? He told me it was because there were more birds on that side. Wow! Slow down and smell the roses; we all are up to learning something if we'll just take the time to listen.

The show was great to do, the kids made it happen for me. Education is something that's really lacking for so many of the kids and shows now a days. The Smiles and thrills that naturally came to light is what fueled the show. My shows were straight off the cuff as things really happened. People like reality.

Unfortunately money, actually the short end of it on my end, drew my show to a close. It was owned by another company who's interest was in the pocket of new on commers; if they have cash why worry about the show quality and audience's needs? Unfortunately, money does talk.

Hopefully someday I'll get a kids envolved show going. With the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

.............. may monstrous fish and screamming drags romp in your dreams! Jeff
[signature]
Jeff,
From your show I already could tell that you also agree that children are great teachers if we only take the time to listen. Sorry about my delay in my reply but I had a power problem that lasted a full week to get corrected.
Has the fishing been good this last week on the rivers? I kinda have been out of tuch of things.

I remember when I had my first encounter. It was my own son. He was only three at the time but so smart he got me real good. He was dressing himself by then and I noticed his shoes wher on incorrectly. I made the wrong comment and told him that he had his shoes on the wrong feet! He procieded to let me know I was wrong because they wher the only feet he had!
Just goes to show that Dad does not always know the facts!
I was not correct as he made me verry humble that day!
[signature]
Greetings to all; South Texas is soon to start busting loose at all it's seams! It's great to report that the rivers are continuing to produce above average numbers of White bass, for the length of time we've been catching them. Water levels are still extremely high and most all of the river is holding whites in the deeper pockets. The past couple of days were beautiful and the numbers of fish was great. We are still averaging about 40-80 nice keepers per day trip. Using about 3 different techniques with all artificial, all are producing fish. From the progress stages in the fishes egg development; it looks as though these fish are going to still be in the river for at least 3-4 more weeks!

Red fish & Stripers; this is what most anglers are calling for and eagerly anticipating the start of spring season. Temperatures and water thermal positions are "almost" there. This week clarity was good, temperatures are close, and there is plenty of bait fish to hold the 'brutes' once the start moving out of the holding areas. New tackle is ready, the boat has been cleaned, motors are flushed and tuned; now all we need is to add fish and water and mix completely! Reservations are starting to get posted regularly through the coming months in anticipation of the spring start. March is almost here and so is the start of another incredible fishing season!

So, until your next nibble occurs; may screaming drags and monstrous fish romp in your dreams!!! Take care, Jeff
[signature]
Jeff,

Thank you for the great report! It definatly will be a great time when the Red fish and the Stripers Start their spring run! That is allways prouf that Spring is apon us!

The way this year is going already in the Texas rivers and also along the Texas coast, what do you think the posability for some new State records are for 2003?
[signature]
Jim,

How has the weather been on our Texas rivers? Has the water wormed up some?

Down on the coast the water is starting to worm as the spring is on the horizon. The bite is picking up from the winter slowdown. We are seeing some nice fat fish this year. It is looking like the coast might find some new records this year. I am thinking that the freshwater just mite have the same.
[signature]
10 MARCH 03 "SW Charters" Lakes: Calaveras & Braunig- San Antonio, TX.
...from Jeff's boat

".......... YAAAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! "

Spring has sprung! At least for the moment; remember we are in south Texas.

Mother nature has given us five days of good weather and the last three have all been fish producers.

REDS!!!! Yeah-buddy......... Finally there has been a stable temperature layer of water form above the main river channel thermal. The Reds have found it and have generated some incredible drag screaming action!!!!!!!! The fish are scattered on this thermal; the good news is that I haven't seen a fish under 25 inches, bad news is they are only "AVERAGING" about 10-14 pounds each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturdays half day trip kept 11 fish with the best four in the 14-16 pound range. It's this class of fish we are seeing as an expected "average" weight for the spring schooling patterns that has started. Last night I seen the first actual school of fish suspended in 35 foot of water; on the first pass through them.... three rods blistered into a scream that sent shivers down everyone's arms! The scrambling dance around the back of the boat that followed was something like a Chinese - fire drill from a Jackie Chan movie! Yet, it was still cool even though extremely hectic.

I can't go on............ even though this is my 16th year guiding here; I found myself sleepless, lying in bed last night, trying to analyze the Reds next move and anticipating the improving change that they are fixing to start! Going over new techniques and changes with our newly installed equipment for this year. Better????? Unbelievably YES!! Year 2003 is suppose to far surpass 2002 according to the biologists report; sounds impossible after having a year like 2002 with over 4000 reds being caught on my main boat alone.

Can you handle it????????? I'll try and help.....till next time, Pray for a soldier and live for Peace.

.................. may monstrous fish and screaming drags, romp in your dreams! Jeff <*)))><[cool]

< [url "http://www.texasfishingguides.org/snyder/"]www.texasfishingguides.org/snyder/[/url] >
[signature]
Jeff,

Thanks for the great river report.

Just wanted to let you know I have been talking about your show! If anything comes out of it I will let you know. Send me a private Message if you can not wait for more details.
[signature]