Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green River 6-7 to 6-10
[cool] We had a great time. The water is really low now. On Wed & Thurs 1,000 cfs, Fri lowered to below 800 cfs (guide said about 700 cfs). Fly fishing was slow. No rising fish except for in the evening and then only a few. Used gold (fish catcher lure)and rainbow Panther Martings, kastermaster, etc) lures when fly fishing wasn't working. Knocked them died. Easily caught 35-50+ fish per day, (caught so many I smashed the barbs on the lures to make release easier). Weather turned bad Friday afternoon. We had marble size hail for proably 20-30 minutes, then hard rain, lots of lightening. All in all, it was proably the best trip to the Green I have ever had. Guides said proably no cicades this year (they fear they all were burned in the fire a few years ago).
[signature]
BS on the cicadas! I was up last year and they were thick as hell. You were lied to.
[signature]
They were a no show this year-- and from what I have heard they were scarce last year as well. Maybe you saw a bunch of mormon crickets?
[signature]
mlyonsden- if fishing isnt good on top, try a zebra midge or something olive this time of year. pmd hatch should pick up soon.

also, there was pretty much a non existent cicada hatch last year, and this year is the same.
[signature]
Possibly, but 2 different drift boats told me they were Cicadas. Are they a chocolate brown color? That was the color of the bugs i saw. And they were atleast 1 1/2" long. The ones i see around my house are bright green but i have been told they vary in color from area to area.
[signature]
Here is a picture of a cicada. Different species will vary somewhat, but this is what they look like.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16735;]
[signature]
Thanks Cat_Man. The bugs i saw did not look like that at all. I don't know what they were. I am going to call a friend and ask him if he remembers what they were.
[signature]
How bout a katydid?

[Image: KatydidBushFProfile01.jpg]
[signature]
They almost looked like a stonefly.
[signature]