Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Inspections
I would like to offer something to all of you that go out on Willard Bay. Rangers do alot of these each year at the different parks but we can't get everyone. If you have never had a boat inspection done on your boat to make sure you have all the necessary equipment, I would be happy to inspect as many of your boats as you want. The inspection take about 5 - 10 minutes, depending on added stories, and then you could avoid any future citations that you may get. I will try and list everything you need but beware it varies on boat size.

BOAT INSPECTION
1. Wearable lifejacket for each person on board. (Readily Accessible)
2. A Type IV PFD. (throw ring or seat cushion)
3. Fire Extinguisher ( if gas tank can not be removed, its built in)
4. Bailing Device (Bail bucket or Working Bilge)
5. Spare Paddle or oar. (Secondary motor doessuffice)

6. Working Navigation Lights (red,left; green,right; and white, rear light can be seen 360 degrees : these need to be be displayed between official sunset and sunrise. When moving all lights need to be on, at anchor just the white one.
7. Registration card needs to be onboard boat.
8. NEW LAW. Any boat with a 50hp or higher needs to have insurance. The insurance card needs to be on boat.
9. Bow Numbers need to be Block Style and contrasting with hull.
10. Boat needs a HIN #(Hull Identification Number) generally located on rear right side of boat.
11. Registration Sticker current and Displayed Properly. (You should have been given a number sticker , depicts month expires, and a year sticker. We have flyers to show how they should be displayed.
12. If Inboard engine a working blower.
13. Approved spark arrestor
14. Horn or Whistle
Now, remember that some of these depend on length of boat and type of engine (outboard or inboard) but if all of these are on the boat you should be in good shape. Another thing with Lifejackets if you have any tears, broken buckles, or the Coast Guard approval number on inside is not readable, then the lifejacket would be deemed no good. Like I said next time your at Willard Bay, I would be happy to go through the boat with you but at least you have a starting point to go by. Any questions please ask. I would much rather everyone be safe than spend the night looking for someone.

Jeff
[signature]
Thank you for the post as it will help many peple be prepared. I did not see a requirement for a horn or signaling device, are they not required? Once again thank you. John R.
[signature]
Your right. I forgot that on the list but have added it on. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I hope it helps make everyone a little safer on the water.
[signature]
I had one of these done about 2 months ago in the parking lot of the sout marina (passed with flying colors).. The Ranger that did the boat inspection was quite friendly and shared stories back and forth with us about river rafting. I was in a 14ft crestliner. By any chance was that you?
[signature]
I would have to say that it was probably me. If you look on the bottom of the ispection sheet my name should be on it. I used to be a River Ranger on the Colorado River down in Moab. Thats probably why we got on the subject of rafting. I have all the equipment to do it and love taking my raft up to the green river and do some float fishing. So if your ever interested and want to split the gas get a hold of me. For me the only thing that sucks about it is that I never get to fish, I just row. I still like it though. I do fish if I stop at some place where no body is around and we see fish.
[signature]
Utahsteelheader,
Does the new insurance law read 50 hp motor and greater or greater than 50hp?
Thanks
[signature]
It is 50hp and greater.
[signature]
ok what is a "[size 1]spark arrestor"?[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]also my boat doesnt have the id plate that has the HIN # on it.[/size]
[size 1][/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Your in trouble petty!![mad]
[signature]
#9 states that numbers should [#ff0000]not contrast [#280050]with the[/#280050] [/#ff0000][#225555]hull. I believe that is incorrect.[/#225555]
[signature]
I think Kurt must have stolen it before he sold you the boat!
[signature]
#2 says a throwable. I am fairly sure it is on boats above 22' or near that. Am i wrong? My boat is only 12' and alot of the stuff in the "boating handbook" doesn't apply to my boat.
[signature]
YOUR TIGHT MY BAD, SORRY i WILL CHANGE THAT
[signature]
OK, PETTY A SPARK ARRESTOR WILL BE ON AN INBOARD MOTOR. SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. IT SUPPOSED TO STOP BACKFIRES. THE HIN# IS THE HULL ID NUMBER, IT IS THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE BOAT. iF YOURS IS GONE ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS LOOK ON YOUR REGISTRATION AND HAVE A SMALL METAL PLATE MADE AND RE - AFIX IT.
[signature]
PETTY ALSO LOOK AND SEE IF THE NUMBER ISN'T JUST PERMANENTLY ENGRAVED IN YOUR BOAT. SOME HAVE THE TAG AND SOME ARE JUST ENGRAVED IN. jUST MAKE SURE IF IT IS THAT IT MATCHES THE REGISTRATION.
[signature]
A tYPE IV LIFEJACKET IS ONLY NEED ON BOATS 16 FEET AND LARGER.
[signature]
Speaking of Lifejackets, now would be a good time to mention that all persons 12 yrs and under must be wearing a PROPERLY fitting, adjusted and fastened PFD at all times the boat is underway.

Is that right?
[signature]
You are 100 percent correct 12 and under must have lifejacket permanently fastened to them while on the water. I will tell you all this No questions asked if a chld is on your boat and is 12 or under, you 95% of the time will get a piece of paper to take home with your fish. I would think you all know what piece of paper I am talking about.
[signature]
Jeff , I just check my inspection slip and you are the one that check my boat back in April 30 . And I might add I passed in flying colors . Great to have you here and watching out for us .
[signature]
Also concerning PFD's. What is the reg if I choose to use a type 5 instead of a type 2 while on the boat.
Am I correct that it must be WORN and not just accessible?
[signature]