Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the type of Steak really matter?
I got into an arguement with a buddy of mine about the difference in flavor verses the different cuts of steak. He swears that a Ribeye or a T-Bone have a better taste, than say a round steak or a shoulder steak. I disagree.

I say if you know how to cook it, and more so prepare it, it will be just as tender and tastey no matter what part of the cows rear end it's cut from.

So what do yall think?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well now mister, I just happen to be a carnivore of the first order. I have also spent some time in the food industry and have been exposed to some of the science and art of raising, butchering, cutting and preparing steaks. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Your premise that all meat tastes pretty much the same would have to be based upon meat from the same animal, prepared the same way. Otherwise, there can be a LOT of difference. How an animal is raised, fed, slaughtered and aged can have a tremendous difference in basic taste. Even the breed of the animal will make a difference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After that, the meat from the same animal (prepared the same way) can have a different taste depending upon the type of muscle tissue and the marbling (fat). Heavy propulsion muscle (round steak, rump roast, etc.) will be leaner and tougher than the well marbled (less active) muscle tissue from the back (rib) of the animal. The fat in meat is often what helps give it the special flavor we like in certain cuts. It ain't good for us but it sure tastes good. Extra lean cuts (round steak) just do not have that flavor.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is why there are so many different ways to prepare different cuts of beef...to take advantage of the best points and to overcome the worst points (tough). After that, the marinades, seasonings, grilling or roasting techniques and other factors can make a tremendous difference in the end product.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course one of the big factors in steakology is how long you cook it and at what temperature. Some steaks are best done at high heat for a short time...black on the outside and "bellowing" on the inside. Other cuts need a long time on low heat to properly cook the meat and to render it tender enough to eat without a machete.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To put it all in fishy terms, catfish from some waters taste great. The same species from other waters...poorly handled and improperly cooked...will gag a maggot.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LOL, well that pretty much says it right there. I usually buy round steak instead of the expensive Ribeye's or T-bones. What i'll do is get them to cut me a few that are a little thicker than the usual thin cut round steaks. You can't beat 4 bucks for a 10 or 12 ounce steak. My steaks are always tender, my secret?

No matter what type of steak i'm cooking, I season it and afterwards, i'll get myself a fork and stab the crap out of it on both sides. Usually about 2 or 3 minutes on each side.

I like a really thick steak because i'm a Medium Rare kind of guy. If there's no pink in the middle, i'm not interested. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are also a lot of tenderizers and marinades that help start the breakdown of the tougher fibers in the leaner cuts of steak. I also like to make my steaks "holy" and then soak them in my own mix of Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and "super spice" (my own blend). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, plain old vinegar acts to help tenderize steak or other cuts of meat. But, if that is your only "beef", then go all the way. Run it through a meat grinder. Great idea. We can call it beef burger.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
When did they change this site to a cooking site and not fishing??????????????????

[signature]
LOL, it's still a fishing website my friend.

The South Carolina board is more of a general discussion board for the reason there isn't enough traffic on it yet for it to be split into sub-catagories, I.E.

Freshwater fishing
Saltwater fishing
General Discussion
etc... etc...

Once this board gets busy enough to be slit into sub-catagories, it will look much like the California board. Once it does, i'll be much stricter as to what posts go where, and any out of bounds will be moved to thier respective sub-catagory that fits the topic. Until such time, though fishing is the main topic of this board and the majority of the others, general topics are also allowed and encouraged. This is a board for us "local" fishermen and women to chit chat back and forth, spread the news, and ask questions pertaining to fishing, hunting, or what ever is etching in the back of your mind. You'll find that the majority of the posts are still pertaining to fishing. I try and keep up to date fishing reports posted for salt and freshwater, weather and surf conditions, but i've been slacking with that since i've not been able to hit the water as much as I use to. Any fishing reports or info you may have would be greatly appreciated. I hope to get enough activity to set up cook outs and BFT tournaments.

I do appreciate your concern however. It's nice to see some new life on this board. Any more concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Bryan
[signature]