Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 06/24
As bkidder correctly posted on yesterdays thread, trout can be caught trolling. We weren't on the Renegade end, but it sounded like he got into them on Thursday. Saturday I took the family for an afternoon of fun at Strawberry, we rode the boat around awhile, swam in the narrows for awhile, and caught cuts about every 5 minutes for 2 hours while trolling a ghost pointer at 25 feet deep just out of the south entrance to the narrows - Renegade side. The kids had a blast reeling in a fish every few minutes and the weather and water were great. The details for anyone going soon - 25-28 feet deep in 40-50 feet of water, 2.2 miles/hour, ghost pointer 75 feet behind a 'rigger and a squirt of scent on it. Money.
[signature]
I'll bet the water was a little on the cool side for swimming! Thanks for another nice report.
[signature]
Fished strawberry Saturday with Kentofnsl and his neighbor. The fish are still hard to find if you want to jigg for them. We had better luck trolling out in the middle but the cutts where under the slot or at the bottom end of the slot. We covered alot of water just to pick up afew while jigging. The fish we picked up jigging where in 35'-40' of water and holding close to the bottom. I heard a couple reports the cutts where holding in the shallows but we never tried shallower than 16' and had no luck untill we got in at least 25' of water and that only resulted in a couple strikes and no hook ups.
[signature]
Piscis , thanks for your reports . I did a little fishing in Soldier Creek side saturday . Gave it a shot for some kokes with no luck but did hear a few reports on the VHF of kokes running 40' . I really need a downrigger bad . I found a few cutts close to shore early and late casting pointers . Even a few bows in mix . Jigged cutts off the bottom in 45' to 55' . Day started off slow for me but really picked up nice once I found the fish . Lots of crawdads , shiners , and chub around the marina .
[signature]
glad to hear they are still biting over there! cant believe you swam in that ice box! a little too cold for me. we didnt catch any over the slot, but came close. the bigger ones were a little scarred up like they had busy spawning. so, maybe some of the larger ones will be coming out pretty soon!

as far as kokes- we only picked a couple up that were right on the surface. kind of wierd for 3pm!

i'll probably hit it again later this week. only i think i'll head over towards jake bay this time.
[signature]
I hit the Berry with my brother early Saturday, and we tried tub jigs along the shore for a couple of hours without a strike, then trolled every minnow in my tackle box with no strikes. Saw several fish being caught by other boats using pop gear. Since I absolutely hate pop gear, we held out until about 2:00 PM, then started trolling pop gear and worm in 40-60 feet of water at 20-30' depth, boated 12 fish in 2 hours, all in the slot and most smaller than we usually catch. Weather was awesome, and it was a good day in the end.
[signature]
We found a little shallow spot in the narrows with a nice flat rock bottom and water temp was around 67 near the top, not too bad. I dove down in about 15 feet of water and it'll freeze you quick if you go deeper than 5 feet. Oh yea, I forgot to add in the original post, I talked to the guy at the ramp doing the creel survey for his dedicated hunter stuff. He told me someone took a 14 lb. cut on Saturday. That's is a big cut - can't wait for fall when all the biggies come shallow.
[signature]
okay, 67 isnt bad at all! thanks for clearing that up! where we were fishing the water was around 60... which is too cold for me.

as far as pop geer goes- a lot of our success came on shasta tackle sling blade dodgers. they dont wear you out like pop geer, but still give great flash. its pretty nice to feel the fish instead of the geer! check out [url "http://www.shastatackle.com"]www.shastatackle.com[/url]
[signature]
We also did well trolling with a Shasta Swing Blade. They seem to work about as well as Popgear and definitely give less drag in the water.
[signature]

[signature]
Maybe I should of fished the surface if you found some Kokes there . Look forward to your report if you go again this week . I was dragging pop gear with wedding rings which is what I use to nail them with . I did pass by some rainbows right below the surface most of the morning . Mayflies and craneflies were on the surface in the morning and it looked like some Damsels were in hatch too . I believe the Bows were in surface feeding mode in the morning . I do have a honey hole to try for bows now for next time . I had some bigger bows check out my jigs in the clear water but I had a 4" tube jig on so maybe I will down size next time . The biggest cutts I hooked saturday came in the evening in 10' of water or less on pointers . Hooked one big female in 45' of water and when she come to the surface eggs were squrting out everywhere . Seen some fish hanging in the deep (95') water on bottom also but I declined on them .
[signature]
HA69, good to hear you got into some in the shallows. I'm gonna have to try the evening some time soon. We always fish early, but the Provo canyon project keeps us from getting there as early as we would like.
[signature]
Thanks for the tip on the Shasta tackle, I will have to give it a try, are you tipping it with worm or anything? We had pop gear with wedding ring and worm. I have had a lot of luck with wedding ring up there, but didn't try that without pop gear when we saw so many others boating fish with pop gear. We had a 2 oz weight on an were trolling at 1.4 to 1.6 mph, I can only go that slow into the wind with my motor, but much faster and the strikes weren't there. How fast do you usually troll the Shasta Dodgers?
[signature]
thats about the speed we were trolling that day. i usually tip lures with a small piece of worm. i also use scents from pro cure sometimes. we also use pop gear and wedding rings too. (but, if they are working behind dodgers why haul in the extra pull?) try both and use what works! hopefully i'll get up there on friday. i'll let you know if i do.
[signature]