Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>6/23/01<br>I don’t have any first hand reports for you this week about offshore fishing, but everyone that I have talked to has been going out to 90 feet or deeper to get a few fish. There have been plenty of reports of chicken dolphin in the 100-foot depths as well as red snapper from depths of 140 feet or so. A few grouper have been caught in the shallower water as well as in the ship’s channel inside the Bay. Of course tarpon are plentiful along the beaches as well as in the Bay, you just have to avoid the wannabe captains that will chase the tarpon like some kind of rodeo round-up cowboy, which of course turns the fish off for the rest of the morning. Lots of big Spanish mackerel are still being caught, particularly in the Bay inside the Skyway.<br><br>On to the bait house reports:<br><br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325- Snapper and grouper have been coming in from the channel. A lot of trout have been caught, but the sizes seem to be a little smaller. Reds and cobia are being caught in this area in pretty good numbers. Lots of tarpon seem to be around the Skyway and in the mouth of the river. Surprisingly, some chicken dolphin have been caught around Egmont on trolled spoons. The shrimp are getting smaller and fewer now as happens every summer so if you want some, get to the shop early!<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Trout and reeds have been biting in our area on live shrimp this week. Cobia are being caught around the big bridge by anglers fishing with live pinfish. Catch and release snook fishing has been good for the anglers using live pinfish and select shrimp.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Trout and reds have been biting well on the flats in Clearwater. Lots of snook have been caught and released in the Pass at night and the early morning. Grouper seem to be out past 90 feet for the most part. Pompano are being caught in the swash channel along the beach for anglers using Doc’s Jigs or sand fleas.<br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- A lot of pompano have been caught this week around the bridges. 30 to 40 pound tarpon have been biting around the fourth street bridges. Some cobia have been caught in this area and snook are showing up around Weedon Island for catch and release fishing.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Tarpon are running the beach and biting for anglers sight fishing in the early morning. Most of the grouper have been coming in from 100 feet or more.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- The backwaters have been producing some reds this week and tarpon are biting well along the beach. Snook are being caught along with pompano in the swash channels and the jetties in the Pass.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Some keeper grouper and mangrove snapper have been caught off our gas dock this week. Spanish mackerel and pompano have been caught along the seawall and off the jetty. Lots of snook are being caught and released this week along the seawall. Our offshore boats are bringing in snapper, grouper, and dolphin.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Lots of sharks and Spanish mackerel have been caught this week. Pompano are being caught around the shallow part of the piers around the rocks. Some grouper and a few cobia have been caught this week.. Some really large stingray have been caught. <br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com