Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Report
The weather was perfect for fishing yesterday. The water was the calmest i've seen it in months. I couldn't believe it. I was actually a little upset when I got out to the mouth of the getties and saw how flat it was because I had pulled my smaller boat down thinking it was going to be rough. I really didn't have the money to fill the 45 gallon tank anyways. So either way, I would've been stuck with the ol' bass tracker.
Besides almost getting swamped by a careless boater in a very large boat, the day went pretty good. We caught a bunch of black sea bass around the rocks at low tide using fresh cut squid. I also noticed that the pinfish are starting to move in. We also caught some croaker, oyster toad fish and blue crabs. LOL When I moved to the other side of the rocks, I saw the most beautiful school of menhaden i've ever seen. I quickly filled the livewell with fresh, live bait and anchored right outside the rocks. We floated live pogeys about 3 to 4 feet below the surface on balloon rigs. Although we didn't get any kings, we did hook a few nice sharks. My son caught a 3 foot scalloped hammerhead shark and I hooked (didn't land) about a 120 pound spinner shark.
I didn't have any of my larger tackle with me, as I wasn't expecting to be able to get very far out of the getties. I figured i'd have been stuck inside the getties. The large spinner shark lasted all of about 30 seconds and 2 acrobatic, spinning jumps. The second jump I felt the leader snap as it wrapped around his body. If i'd have had a 5 or 6 foot steel leader and 40+ pound line, that sharks days would've been numbered.
Once the tide finished making it's way in, fishing around the rocks was pretty much pointless, so we heading into the inlet and slow trolled for flounder. Even though high tide still isn't very good for flounder in the inlet, sometimes you can snagg a few. However, I had no such luck. It was still fun though.
[signature]