Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
big shovelnose, Malibu report
My friend Marcus told me that he was going to be fishing Sat night north of the Malibu pier. I called him around 11:45pm and he excitedly told me that he had caught 3 cabezon, and 2 leopards (up to 3 feet) all released of course Wink. He had to leave there because of parking restrictions, so we decided to meet up at the Charthouse.

I met up with him around 12:30am. Marcus proceeded to pull in a 3ft smoothhound and about 3 thornbacks. I got one run but no fish. I thought I was going to get skunked until I got a huge run after throwing out a anchovy filled squid. I set the hook and the battle was on! I knew it was a big one right away. It took multiple loooong runs until Marcus worked really hard to wrangle it out of the shallow water. Thanks Marcus! We would've never got the fish in without you. It was a shovelnose guitarfish, looked to be around 4ft and close to 50lbs. I've caught 1 longer than that but it wasn't even as heavy. This thing was so heavy that I had a hard time holding it up for a picture. Unfortunately the pictures didn't come out since I didn't have enough batteries for the flash to work.

We stayed out until 3:30am but Marcus only pulled up 1 more thornback. What a cold but great night!

Tom
[url "http://www.tacklethief.com"]www.tacklethief.com[/url]