Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Llamas
It was not a banner weekend for the IFG team at the derby. We managed 3 fish between 7 of us for both days. None were even considered for prize money. I think I need to change my screen name after this weekend to IceFishingLoser. In my defense the entire team was a little slow getting started Saturday after a little too much pre-derby festivities. Oh well, there is always next year. Hey, maybe Llamas weren't such a good idea afterall.

IFG
Ouch, Tough trip IFG. At least ya didnt get skunked. And it sounds like pre derby festivities was worth the trip alone[Wink]
[signature]
Hey ICE FISHIN GOD ,, Did anyone catch Ole AL or Slippery Bill ? You're trip sounds like my trip to the Spring Fling Derby at the Gorge one year . If I remember right we never went to bed till 3 in the morning and the derby started at 6 am . Rough mornings .
[signature]
Thats too bad IFG, I was hopeing you would get them laamas and i could hire you out to pack a bunch of gear into my deer camp this year. Sucks packing it in on my own back.
[signature]
[blush] [#800000][size 4]thats why I retired from the Sulpher Creek Derby. Maybe we should have our own unofficial derby at Strawberry. We pick a bay, meet at a specific time, and caravan to a specific fishin' spot. We can measure and weight then release each others fish. We could probably bring bbqers and food, and have a socicial phemonon or something....[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 4]Whadda ya think?[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 4]tommy [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Just my humble opinion . What about somewhere closer like Pineview . I like the "Berry" but it can be slow there and it is a good distance for me( 85 miles ) and alot farther for many others . Pineview has been slow but most people can catch a few and I'm still hoping for a crappie & muskie . We could cook some perch up right on the ice . Parking can be crowded there also at pineview . I'm kinda low on funds so the closer the better chance of me going . Contest ? I go for the good time and the beer .
[signature]
I only got a couple of nibbles and a good case of windburn. I heard that the 28" one was caught in the area that you said you were going to be?

They really were not interested in feeding on sunday .

Good luck next year

swimming jig
[signature]
[Smile]By the looks of the 1250 people they showed on the news, I'm suprised you caught anything at all. 1250 jigs jumping up and down. Which one to take? If I was a fish I would be terribly Confused and run off and hide.
[signature]
Nobody got the big money fish, one guy got a $1000.00 tagged fish. The derby winner was a 28" 8lb trout both from the same area we were fishing. The biggest fish of the day on Sunday was 19". The biggest fish we could manage was only 13". I'm all for an unofficial ice derby here in Utah. We could chip in a buck or two and give out a ribbon or chessy little trophy for biggest perch,bass,catfish,crappie,ect. However, after reading the laws under fishing contests we still might need a permit, if we have over 50 people. Also, couldn't do it on Strawberry , according to the rules you can't have contests for salmonoids on lakes with special trout restrictions. I know it would be unofficial, but after reading the post on XMAN's troubles, we should take no chances. I'd hate to lose my license because somebody whined about us trying to have a little harmless fun. Looks like Pineview, Hyrum, Echo or Newton might be better options. Might be a little late in the year for an ice fishing derby, its supposed to get warm again this week. We might have to try it next year. The first place winner in any contest we have should win Llamas, in my opinion.

IFL (formerly known as IFG)