Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making flies float
Yesterday we were fishing with Uintah fly rods up in the Uintahs. The fish would bite best if we could keep the fly floating on the surface. We tried blowing the flies dry before casting and had minimal success keeping the flies on the surface by doing that. Then I tried some liquid that Billy had. Instructions read to apply one or two drops to the fly and it would float for hours. Well, I applied two drops, and the fly almost floated for one cast. Does this stuff really work and if so how is it to be applied?
[signature]
Kent,
Those floatants work but must be applied when the fly is dry.If the fly is already waterloged they can't get into the material to keep the water out.
I prefer the gel types over the liquid but both work if you apply them right after you tie the fly on and it hasn't been in the water yet. Then let the floatant dry before casting.
If the fly still sinks rub some on your leader as well. If it still sinks your using a weighted fly or getting line drag that is pulling the fly under water.
[signature]
Kent, i use Gink on my dry flies and have no complaints. If you need to reapply just make some speed air casts and dry it off that way.
[signature]
When this happens you can also use a fly that has some closed cell foam in the pattern. They always float. I tie a lot of my parachute patterns with a piece of white foam sticking straight up from the parachute, they float nicely.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Kent,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I'm glad you and Billy are getting into some fly fishing.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Like was mentioned, fly floatant of the liquid type, works best when applied to an already dry fly. When I use it, I put a tiny drop on my fingers and rub them together. Then I apply the floatant sparingly to the fly. Let it sit for a while(30-60 minutes) before use. You only want to coat the surface of the fly - not soak the material. Putting too much on will make your fly sink.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]OK, now that the fly is already wet. This is what I generally would do. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]1. Do a couple of false casts then take the fly, and gently blow off any water on the fly, [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]2. Grab the tippit(leader) about 2-3 inches above the fly and shake it vigorously(like extinuishing the flame on a match). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]3. Next, there is a dry powder(I can't remember the brand names off hand, but, it's actually like that Silicon Gel desicant packet you get in electronic devices) that can remove most of the moisture from your fly. Place the fly in the powder(usually it comes in a small plastic container with a slit in the top for the leader). close the top of the container and shake vigorously. Let the dust settle for a few seconds before taking the fly out. remove the fly and shake it out in the open air for a couple of seconds. Then, let sit for a few minutes before using again(take this opportunity to change out the fly - I usually try to have several flies on deck and ready to rotate every few minutes). Before reusing that first fly, sparingly reapply the floatant(liquid or paste). [/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If I am using a dry fly, I prefer my pre-treated furled leaders and I carry several cause with all the fish to be had in the Uinta's I need to dry out a leader here and there.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I also absolutely love Orvis's "hi-flote" leaders, they really do.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As far as the fly, I use Frogs Fanny. A very fine powder that not only makes the fly float, but makes it more visible, plus will dry the fly out.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Keep in mind every time a fish hits that fly, they are sliming it up.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Rub the fly on a towel or a sleeve, add FF and go for it. I also use it on emergers and pupa, it adds a bubble around the fly, very realistic.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
[signature]