Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19''burbot out of FG.
Well I was runing a little late this morn my Buddy Jeff was waiting for me at holmes to go do the spawning koke's as I pulled up Jeff said guess what I caught I thought man he cant be that excited unless he had a ling and sure enuf just out from the monument in about 70ft he was catching small mac's on spoon's and he nailed this burbot. as I jumped in the boat and we headed across the lake we made it to the spawn bed's and it took a few min but not to long and we started nailing the koke's in about 35-45ft of water we caught around 30 in just a couple of hr's thay are grouping up hard seemed like we caught mostly buck's with very few hen's some of them were still cromed but a lot were geting pink and geting that hard head should be a good spawn lot's of fish in allready enjoy later Fish......[Wink]
[signature]
Sounds like the Koke provited you and Jeff a rollin' party. Good on ya!
[signature]
From Holmes Crossing marina, where do you go to find the spawning Kokes? We want to make another trip up there this year. We went the end of June to Holmes and we could not get the kokes to bite. I would love to have a day like you describe. Let me know where to go to find them. Thanks
[signature]
Spawning Koke's dont "bite"...

I don't want to accuse anyone because I don't know where or how Fishley and friend were catching the reported fish. But, starting mid August on many of the Koke spawning beds, and continuing when the macks start spawning in Linwood in October, most of these fish are not "caught" they're snagged by ripping buzz bombs with large treble hooke through the spawning beds.

I have caught many a Mack or Koke from the Gorge with big scars or missing an eye.
[signature]
spawning kokes do bite! they grow more aggressive and protect there beds like no other! that being said, some people do snag them... which is messed up! i think youre jumping to conclusions here though... fishley is a pretty good guy. im sure he'll chime in and defend himself soon enough.
[signature]
well pinksnapper this is true thay can be snaged if you use treble hook's every fish we caught but two was in the top of the mouth so talk smacck about that all you want I poor my own jig's and use a single gammy hook make's it real tuff to snag them but yes lot's of people do snag them and use big treble's to do so but we dont need to snag them to have a good time thay have been beding up for about 2 week's know so is there eny thing else you would like to tell me about the gorge and the fish in it and when and were thay spawn. maybe in the morn I will tye on a 2/0 gammy and just rip it up bet ya I could boat a hell of a lot more fish LOL FYI KOKE'S DO BITE AND YA DONT RIP THE JIG YOU JUST POP IT IN THE BED'S TO PISS THEM OFF THAY PIC IT UP TO GET IT OUT OF THERE BED AND BANG IT'S FISH ON.funny how thay all swam by with there mouth's wide open so I could snag them..........lol
[signature]
Ashley, is that the first burbot that you have seen or are they starting to become common.
[signature]
Kent that is a first for me I know of some that have been caught up the lake during the ice season and a guy I worked with caught a small mouth at the pipe line that spit up a ling about 4.5'' so ya I think thay are going to become common which I dont really know if it will be good or bad a lot of different thought's out there have too wait and see guess thay are awsome eat's.I have caught them up at boysen but never in the green river drainage with that one being 19'' I think we have a problem but only time will tell I think thay get up too about 4ft long but you can bet that them big laker's will love the heck out of em .........man are thay slimmy LOL pertty cool looking though................
[signature]
There is no reason tio accuse of that.
[signature]
Man them are ugly sunsabucks! I also heard they are fine table fare. Nice report Fishley[Smile]
[signature]
MAN I KNEW FISHLEY WAS GONA RIP YA FOR THAT... GORGE LOCALS RESPECT THE FISH MOORE THAN THE LONG DISTANT ANGLERS DO. ITS JUST A FACT THAT MOORE THAN MYSELF HAVE WITNEST. GOOD ON YA ASH.
[signature]
Sure do look funny, but they make good grub. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
A good many years ago, I did jig for the kokanee wien they were grouped up to spawn. These guys are right. They WILL eat a spoon. When I first tried it, I used a spoon with a treble hook, and did give it a pretty good rip, and we snagged at least half of them. When we later shortened our jigging stroke, we snagged fewer, and seemed to get more to bite with their mouth. When we went to single hooks and a short stroke, I'd say over 90 percent were in the mouth. I've since given all that up for the most part, but it depends on what and how you fish as to how many get foul-hooked.

Now the lake trout on spawning beds, however, SELDOM TO NEVER eat a hard-stroked spoon or buzz bomb. And they sure as hell don't eat them in the dark! So, its apples to oranges. The kokes will bite. The macks, for the most part, get snagged or avoid the lure all together when on the beds.

And, damn, I haven't caught a burbot yet. Sure would like to try one to eat. Maybe a big, dark slimey-lookin' ling-jig will be the next hot mack bait. Ooops, givin' away the secrets again.[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
I have to agree with those that say Koke will bite a spoon , or in my case a custom made jig, while in the beds. And I agree entirely that the bite comes as a result of the koke trying to clear their spawning bed of those not invited to the orgy...
[signature]
Pinksnapper,your statements just shows your total lack of knowlege,about the kokeanee behivior in the gorge.As it been said before when using a single hook,and a softer jigging motion.Most fish will be lipped hooked.Spawning fish do bite ,there is no doubt about it.
[signature]
JIM thank you....................[Wink] you know your stuff. people just dont get it .we are hear to catch fish, eat, sleep, and catch more fish. that is it.find a way and I will find one better aint that what it is all about..........tell me and I will tell you if ya aint an ass.............
[signature]
WOW!!! Taponjim and Fishley agree on something....sort of. There will be peace on earth, snow in September, cats and dogs living in harmony and IFG may just yet break the 40# mark.

Here is a really good reciepe for Burbot that we used in Ak.

2 filets of Burbot

1 cup plain white bread crumbs (or Ritz crackers)

1 stick butter (don't use margarine)

Fresh or powdered garlic to taste

1/4 pound uncooked shrimp or cooked crab meat

very cheap white wine or white grape juice for those that would not like to be seen in a liquor store

Soak fillets in wine or juice for 4 hours

In a food processor or blender combine the rest of the stuff (except Burbot), blend until very mushy

Take the fillets and sandwich the food processer stuff between them

Wrap in foil

Cook on 350 for 15 mins, then flip over, cook for 10 mins more.

Note, cooking time varies by fillet thickness but this is about right for a 4 or 5 pound ling.

Get as crazy as you want with the basic reciepe, I've added peppers and onions and all kinds of stuff too it. You will find Burbot is very tender all white meat much like Walleye or Halibut.

They look ugly but they sure are good, much like the IFG...enjoy

IFG
Wait a second! I don't have any problem with peace, harmony, or 40 pounders, but did you say "snow in September?" I thought profanity was forbidden on here. Where is the moderator? I find that four-letter S-word highly offensive, especially since it ain't even August yet. Next thing you know he'll be talking about Christmas. Geeze, I don't even know where my wool socks are, much less all that other thick, heavy crap to wear.[Smile]
[signature]
FUNNY STUFF. IFG YOU ROCK. AND PEACE ON EARTH TO HECK WITH THAT. PEACE ON THE GORGE IS BIGGER..LOL. GOOD TO SEE YOU GUYS GETTING ALONG. HELL NEXT WE MIGHT EVEN SEE ASHES FACE IN YR BOUT. O WHAT THE GORGE HAS COME TO.LOL. AND IT SNOWED LAST WEEK ON ME AT 11000 FEET JIM NO BULL. LOG HOLLOW ABOVE UPER STILLWATER. ONLY LASTED 5 MINS BUT ABOUT 1 INCH FELL FAST AND MELTED FASTER. SO FIND YR WOOL SOCKS.
[signature]
Fishely,I have to ask,did you or your buddy report catching the burbot to the wyoming g/f? i think they would like to hear your report ,it might give them some useful infomation.
[signature]