Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo near Vivian Park
Headed to the lower Provo near Vivian Park,,, any suggestions on what the hogs will be eating? Haven't been there in a while.

I will be sure to post a report of what I find.

thanks,

The Canadian
[signature]
Okay, so it went pretty well. That river still gets a lot of pressure though. So many anglers everywhere, even on weekdays. I'm not used to fishing around people at all.

The conditions were right though, and I did pretty well. I fished for a bout an hour or so, and landed some really nice fish. I didn't see anyone else around me catch anything, but I wasn't paying a ton of attention to them. The water was nice, and just as I was leaving, there was a blue winged olive hatch, a big one. Like about size 14 or so. Wished I could have fished that, but I had to run. The fish were very healthy and beautiful. All still swimming. Only took them out of the water for these quick pics. Sorry that they're so blurry.

The Canadian
[signature]
Okay, TheCanadian, we all know that is the same brown in all pictures and to top it off you brought it with you[Wink]
There are no fish in the Provo[cool]
[signature]
Alright flygoddess, You caught me "brown handed". You're right, I brought it with me from Utah Lake! [Tongue]

Nothin' but tubers and flyfishers in that darn Provo river anyways.[sly]

The Canadian [cool]
[signature]
Cool. That "blue winged" hatch you saw were probably PMD (pale morning duns). Would that be correct? What pattern(s) did you get the fish on? It has been forever that I have fished the Lower. Maybe I should try it soon.
[signature]
You could be right,, it was getting dark, and I couldn't catch one of those buggers to get a good look.

When I first jumped in, I caught the smaller of the browns you see in the pics, like my second or third drift, on an olive scud. I then caught some fish on streamers, black wooly bugger pattern. The last fish I caught was right as I was leaving on a Blue Winged Olive pattern.

Unless you enjoy being elbow to elbow while fishing, I would NEVER hit the Provo on a weekend. I haven't fished the Provo since February for that very reason. I only went the other night cause it had rained a lot, makes good for fishing, and I thought it would still be raining, thus deterring a lot of the anglers.

Trip reminded me how good that river can really be sometimes though. Just wish it didn't receive so much pressure.
[signature]
Sweet report... Keep them comming!!!
[signature]