Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell??
Ok, I know Lake Powell is very very low and people are hoping for lots of rain to refill it. I talked to a gentleman the other day about lake powell. His opinion on Lake Powell was rather interesting and he raised a very good question.

Lake Powell has not been to full capacity for a long time. With the slick rock walls, where the dam connects, starting to erode at an alarming rate, would they be able to hold. The dam is already starting to lean outward and the force of a full lake could possibly cause it to collapse. What a mess that would be. He says that their are a few people that do not want Lake Powell full again until repairs can be down, but that would almost mean building a new dam.

Any thoughts or opinions?
[signature]
Where did you get your information about the Glen Canyon Dam? I've not heard anything about what you are talking about here. If it's true, it's very depressing because Powell is my most favorite fishin hole. Who was the gentleman and/or what other sources for your info? Powell has a lot of enimies who would love to propagate paranoya and drain it the rest of the way. Hope that's not the case.
[signature]
I have heard it from a few people. The gentleman I speak of lives in Page AZ and is an avid fisherman/hunter. He doesnt want to shut it down by no means. He knows some people that work in the city, thats where he gets his info. He would love to see Powell return to is max capacity, but is afraid of the reprocutions with the dam condition. I dunno, maybe he is crazy, just wondering if anyone has heard anything here. I just want the million dollar fish contest to return[Smile]
[signature]
Sounds fishy to me, if Glen Canyon Dam was not sound those wanting to remove the Dam would jump all over it, and it would be all over the news.

MackAttack
[signature]
[blue][size 2]This topic came up a few months back. I had never heard this so I asked Wayne Gustaveson, the fisheries biologist over Lake Powell. He said the dam issue is a "dam urban legend", and that there's absolutely no dam truth to it (sorry, couldn't resist).[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Also, with LP being over 50 down, there's a lot of bad press and bad information circulationg about the lake. First off, there's still plenty of water, and the lake is still over 400 feet deep in many areas. Also, the low water is revealing many more sandy beaches, so there's more places to camp. It's also exposing shoreline to growth, which will become structure when the water comes back up.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Another common complain is that the low water is making it dangerous to navigate. Not true--the channel is still clear and any obstacles in the channel are marked. Also, old hazards are now high and dry and easily avoided. But new hazards are present. But the lake's so clear that you just need to stay in the channel and watch the water.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Lake Powell's in great shape, and the fishing outlook is excellent. Now if they can just extend the ramp at Hite. But Bullfrog and Wahweap ramps are still in great shape.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]If you have questions about Lake Powell, go to the source, [/size][/blue][url "http://www.wayneswords.com"][blue][size 2]www.wayneswords.com[/size][/blue][/url]