Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famowood clear coat
Been doing research on Famowood Dura Tuff Clear Coat, quite a few guys like this for their final coat. Any openions?
Vinny
[signature]
I'm gonna hafta keep my eye on this thread, as I'm planning on repainting some of my hard baits to patterns of my own that as of yet I've never seen...cool...can't wait for the results of your query.[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think I will stick with the two part epoxy clear coat I have been using. I have tried a lot of other final coatings on both jigs and wood lures and have not found anything yet that is harder, more resistant to plastic solvents or more compatible with all other paints and finishes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Famowood Dura Tuff is a urethane product that may react with some other kinds of paints and finishes...especially some of those I use on jig heads. I have used a similar product made by Minwood and had problems on some paints. It has solvents in it and is not neutral as is the epoxy I now use. It tells you right in the instructions that you need to either sand off all existing paint before applying...or at least test it before applying. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.creative-wholesale.com/Dura-Tuff.html"]HERE IS A LINK[/url] and [url "http://www.eclecticproducts.com/DuraTuffDirections.htm"]ANOTHER LINK[/url] to some information that might be of help. I cannot argue against any positive results others have had in using Dura Tuff on their lures. Much of the final result will depend on the other paints they are using. All I know is that some of the jig enamels I use prior to final coating will bubble and dissolve with many other products.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would never say never until I have had a chance to try it for myself. I am likely to look for a small container and test it on some of my stuff. If I do, I will definitely report back. If nothing else, I can use it on the burned pine shelves I make. I have been using the Minwood urethane finish on those for years and it is great.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I watched a bass tech. show a few weeks ago and they colored some bullet heads with just plain black spray paint mix'ed up some flex coat epoxy and put some red glitter in with the epoxy and when they were done, they had a dark red bullet weight with a super hard coating. later chuck
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Flex Coat Epoxy, designed for rod building, is an excellent top coat for jigs and painted lures. Adding a bit of glitter really adds to the appearance and attractiveness of many lures.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost all of my jigs and homemade hardbaits include glitter these days. I even use it on rod wraps. I collect glitters from many different sources and I have just about every color you can imagine. Some of my jig heads are "glittered" with a mix of two or three different glitters, to create special effects.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I usually apply my glitter by mixing it in clear vinyl jig paint. I can control the consistency by thinning with an eye dropper as needed, which is important to getting a good finish. The clear vinyl dries quickly so by rotating and blowing on each one as I finish the glitter coat, I avoid the potential for running that sometimes happens when you use a thick coat of epoxy with glitter in it. I apply a coat of plain clear vinyl over the glitter, to give it more smoothness and "depth" and then I finish it with either lure epoxy or the flex coat. I end up with jig heads with a lot of sparkle and a deep finish that looks good. They are as smooth and hard as glass when I finish them. A little extra work but the fish don't mind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]