Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake El Salto update
July Angling Report

Joe Thomas, BASS Elite Series angler and television host, was a recent guest to Anglers Inn. Joe has fished El Salto before. Here’s what he has to say about his recent trip: “This year my trip to Anglers Inn was special not only for the incredible fishing, but because I had a chance to bring my Dad and brothers, Tim and Doug, along for the trip. After having fished in the Elite Series since March, it might seem a little strange that I’d actually want to go fishing on one of my rare off weeks, but this is Lake El Salto, and I’ll never pass up an opportunity to be there!

“Our fishing started off great, as usual. I spent the first day with my dad and we worked submerged trees in 8 to 10-feet of water and instantly found that the fish were suspended around the brush. Early on they would come up and smash my Lucky Craft Gunfish top water bait. As the sun rose we started pitching Arkie jigs (black with blue power chunk trailers), 10-inch Power Worms (black-blue and tequila sunrise colors seemed to work best) and had a field day. My hands were literally raw from lipping fish. And you know you’ve caught some good ones when the teeth marks are way down on your palm by the base of your thumb!

“The only complaint I heard was from my brother Doug, from Atlanta, was about the nice sized bruise on his stomach from setting the hook on so many fish. My brother Tim, of Indianapolis, set a personal best mark not once, but six times over the course of our three-day trip. His largest bass weighed well over 9-pounds!

“It never ceases to amaze me how incredible the fishing is on Lake El Salto and I believe it’s a real testament to Billy Chapman and everyone involved with Anglers Inn. They’ve managed the resource perfectly and their strict catch and release policy means that the fish grow bigger, live longer and most importantly, pass on their characteristics to their offspring.

“After having worked with Billy on the Monster Bass Tournament video last fall when Les Melton caught 20 bass that weighed over 120-pounds—that’s a record that’s still not topped by Preston Clark’s new BASS record set this spring on Santee-Cooper---I’m a firm believer that Lake El Salto will continue to be the world’s premiere bass fishery for years to come. Unlike other lakes that tend to cycle from hot to cold, El Salto stays red hot year after year!

“I’d love to tell you in detail about each fish I caught, but this report would be about 400 pages long. The real thrill for me was fishing with my dad and brothers, something I don’t get a chance to do often enough as we live in different parts of the country. My main tip would be to plan a trip with your family or close friends. The fishing and the time spent weaving fish stories during dinner or relaxing with one of Jose’s world famous Spanish coffees after dessert just can’t be measured in dollars and cents. It’s the perfect place to relax, unwind and catch some of the most aggressive hard fighting fish I’ve ever encountered.

“If you like to fish, then Anglers Inn on Lake El Salto is the one place you have to visit, period. And remember I’ve been fishing professionally for 23 years and there aren’t many places I haven’t fished, but none compare to Lake El Salto. And no other lodge compares to Billy Chapman Jr.’s Anglers Inn. It’s hard to top a trip to the best bass lake in the world with the best accommodations, hospitality and service you’ll find anywhere. Hopefully, I’ll see you there.”

Joe Thomas wasn’t the only top professional bass angler to visit Anglers Inn recently. Another was Luke Claussen, the winner of the 2006 Citgo Bassmasters Classic. Luke set a number of records in walking away with that 2006 Classic. He taught El Salto Lake bass some of his tricks while he was here in July.

Luke tells us he estimates he boated about 200 bass during his fishing at El Salto. The largest weighed 7-pounds, 2-ounces. His top lures were a Strike King Series 5 crankbait in chartreuse & blue. He also did well with a pumpkin colored 3/4th-ounce Picasso jig.

Luke took many of his fish on channel bends and from the shallow flats early and late in the day. “Great food and lots of fish!” is the way he sums up his Anglers Inn visit.

David Walker, another professional angler, was also among our July visitors. David says he boated about 300 bass. The largest of his fish weighed 8-pounds, 3-ounces. David did well with a Strike King Series 5 crankbait in chartreuse & blue. He also scored with a 10-inch Power Worm in watermelon with red flakes. When things slowed down, he turned to a brown ½-ounce jig. Many of his fish came from water 6 to 10-feet deep. He caught others along breaks in the creek channels near deeper water.

Jay and Dana Schurz also fished with us last month. “We caught approximately 300 fish in 32 hours of fishing,” Jay says. “We had approximately six fish in the 8 to 9-pound class; approximately 30 fish than ran 7 to 8-pounds; 50 fish from 6 to 7-pounds and 200 fish from 1 to 6-pounds. Although no heavy fish showed, the 7 and 8-pound fish had 9 to11-pound frames based on their 24 to 26-inch lengths. Most had huge heads and skinny bodies. When the lake rises and the fish are less stressed no doubt that the presence of these fish will be monstrous.

“The bite was distinct. We used different patterns daily based on location. A Storm Warthog in watermelon and yellow out fished the DT Rapala ten to one. Strong bites on green pumpkin Zoom Lizards and the 7-inch Yum Dingers in the Baby Bass color outperformed all other colors. Most bass were caught on weightless Texas Rigged worms. We switched to wacky style when the bite stopped. The black and blue 10-inch Power Worm bite was steady when the sun was high in the sky.”

Michael Yoke had great surface fishing when here was here last month. Let’s let him tell about it: “Wow! Was it hot at El Salto in July! I’m not talking about the weather,” Michael says. “The top water fishing was incredible. My best morning on buzzbaits with my fishing partner was 120 fish. We had 16 fish over 6-pounds and lost count of the 4 and 5-pounders. My biggest fish was 8-pounds, 2-ounces.

“For all you people that think July is too hot, last year I came in July for my birthday (which is becoming a tradition) and I had the best top water fishing in my life. You can understand this being my 7th trip to El Salto, why July has become my favorite time of the year to come fishing. Because of the summer rains, the grass is green and so are the mountains.

“The best day I had this year was 80 fish in the morning on combined top water and spinnerbaits and crankbaits; back that up in the afternoon in a slight rainstorm, with 72 fish!

“That’s enough about the fishing---it’s not all about fishing. The staff at Anglers Inn is the most remarkable group of people you could ever meet. Every member of the staff makes you feel at home and part of the Anglers Inn family. They are friendly, attentive and eager to please.

“Thank you, Billy, for another remarkable birthday. It is one that will remain etched in my mind as well as my heart. I will see you in November and a traditional July!”

Jim Kramer is the Producer of Angler on Tour; Ultimate Match Fishing and Reel in the Outdoors with Joe Thomas. Jim also fished with us in July. He also had some great action. “Well, it has happened again,” Jim says. “Each year as I anxiously await our annual trek to Billy Chapman’s Anglers Inn on Lake El Salto, I convince myself that this is the year that will end the streak. The ‘streak’ being the amazing bass fishing that just keeps getting better year after year. The streak has held up now for four straight years, and I had convinced myself that no lake, no matter how fantastic, could continue to just keep producing world-class bass fishing action for not one, not two, but five straight years!

“I’m happy to admit that once again, I was dead wrong! With 20 friends, including my dad in tow, we arrived at Anglers Inn early on the morning July 23. I was amazed at how low the water level had dropped, and my first impression was that this clearly had to have an impact on the fishing. And it certainly did, but not in the way I was thinking! I’m glad to report that I’m batting one thousand in the ‘wrong’ department. The low water levels had actually schooled the fish in easy to find spots that was off the charts when it came to fishing action!

“We began the morning throwing Sammy’s in shallow coves and bays. My dad tied on his 7-inch green pumpkin Senko, his one and only bait of choice, and we began working around standing timber. While the bass played volleyball with my Sammy, my Dad starting cracking some good-looking fish in the 5-pound range with the Senko. Not to be undone, I tied on a White Arkie Mirror Glow Buzzbait, my guide’s suggestion, and it was on like a pot of neck bones as they say down yonder.

“Cast after cast, my buzzbait was getting smashed by hyper-aggressive fish in the 4 to 6-pound range with one 9.5-pounder in the group. In the first morning alone, I caught 50 plus fish. Not to be outdone, my dad, working the deeper part of the cove, landed a 10-pound Lake El Salto beauty! Watching him fight that fish, his biggest ever, was something I’ll never forget! After having whipped cancer twice in the last few years, and overcoming a major stroke, seeing the look on his face was priceless. I haven’t seen him Smile like that since, well, last year when we fished El Salto! So much for the first morning of fishing!

“As the fish began to move a little deeper during the afternoon, I switched to a Lucky Craft Big Daddy Strike 3 crankbait in American shad color and proceeded to continue to crack some heads. We also worked 10-inch Berkley Power Worms in black & blue and green pumpkin colors with great success. The action literally never slowed down.

“On days two and three, we duplicated our success with buzzbaits, Senkos, worms and crankbaits with a small twist. A good friend of mine had brought along his two sons, Bo 13, and Sam 15. On the second day I brought Bo along with my Dad and me. I gave him some pointers on using a Senko and he had a blast. He caught 34 fish that morning with his biggest being in the 8-pound range while I continued to watch my poor Arkie buzzbait get smashed. If a fish swung and missed at the buzzbait, Bo was Johnny on the spot with a little Senko follow-up action and sure enough I’d get a look at the fish that I had just missed.

“The next day it was Sam’s turn. Sam was a bit more of an accomplished angler than his younger brother, so we could mix it up a little more. We started working worms around the submerged timber in the creek mouths and were having great success when disaster struck and it was my fault. After hearing Sam’s drag squeal on a 7-pounder, I decided we should tighten it up just a little. Now when I tighten drag, I usually use a wrench! So I cranked it down and sure enough, not two casts later, it was fish on! I knew it was a good fish as soon as Sam set the hook and I saw his rod bow up. As the fish came to the surface and boiled, we all gave a big “Ooooohhhh!” This was Mack Daddy, by all guestimates in the 11 to 12 pound range! That’s when it hit me---Sam’s drag! As the fish made its first lunge for the bottom, I tried to reach around Sam to loosen the drag before he was pulled out of the boat! Unfortunately, it was too late. The sound of the line snapping was like a crack of lightning. As I was apologizing over and over, Sam just looked at me and said that sometimes the best fish story is about the one that got away!

So once again, with another incredible trip to Angler’s Inn under my belt, I can’t help but marvel at how fantastic a fishery Lake El Salto is and remains to be. I’m already counting the days until we return in 2007. Each member of our group had the time of their lives and I’m certain all will return as soon as possible. One of the best comments came from Ned Stephenson, Bo and Sam’s father who caught an 11.5-pounder, his biggest ever. When I asked him if he and the boys had enjoyed the trip and the fishing, he told me that he was most impressed by the friendliness, hospitality and service that the staff at Anglers Inn provided. Even if the fishing weren’t world class, he’d return for the camaraderie, food, drink and the experience of spending time on the water with his sons. I can’t think of any better testament than that. Once again, Anglers Inn exceeds expectations!”
[signature]