Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltwater Fishing Report
Man, what a rough day it turned out to be. It started off kinda rough first thing, but it layed down by about 8:30 or so. The fishing started off kinda slow. I saw one of my buddies from Capt Dicks marina at the tackle store first thing, and I stayed in touch with him on the VHF the better part of the day. Both of us were looking for jelly balls so we could target some spadefish, however, niether of us were able to find any.

We did manage to boat a single Spadefish on a piece of cut squid. Go figure. I had a few shark lines set and got one nasty hit, however, he managed to snap the line after he had run out 2/3 of the spool. Now, my heavy drag handed father in law is re-spooling his reel with more line. Next time he won't lock it down so hard so quick. LOL, what ever it was, it wasn't no pussy cat. It honestly didn't run like a shark, I have my wonders what it could have been. I didn't see a single sea bass, king, or spanish come up around me all day. I was pretty surprised considering the water temp has begun it's slow decent downward.

Inshore/ inlet fishing has been slow according to my buds down in the inlet. Maybe the fishing will pick up some here by next weekend. How about it fellas? Anyone else having any luck?
[signature]
Sounds like my luck. I fished out of Holden Beach saturday. Started off pretty good, netted some nice menhaden in the ICW but decided to try the spanish with clark spoons early. Caught one small spanish in about 2 hours of trolling. The seas were almost flat. We moved to one of the inshore reefs and slow trolled the menhaden, hooking up with 4 or 5 sharks but no king runs. The bait just wasn't there. I'll be spending a couple of days during Labor Day week at Garden City, hope to fish some then. What name do you use on the vhf? I'll give you a shout when I am down there. Mine is Dusky or Shameless.
[signature]
My boat is the "Reel Deal," and you'll find me on channel 71. 71 is the channel my bud that works at Captain Dicks Marina uses, and I usually try and stay intouch with him when i'm out and about. He captains the Inlet dream out of said marina. Give me a reminder around about when you're heading out. I know that weekend is going to be a mad house on the inlet boat landing side.

I've been having similar luck around the inshore reefs 4 miles out. Personally, I think you're damn lucky to have found menhaden. I haven't seen a school in a few weeks. I've also noticed that the sharks have been thick the past few weeks. So, i've actually been targeting them. They are a thrill to fight, and not terribly difficult to find.

I drug large clark spoons not long ago and didn't have much luck. The water inshore is still too warm for kings, and the spanish have been schooling around 10 mile and further. I've noticed a difference in the surface water temp, it's starting to drop. The surface temp at paradise reef yesterday was 83. It needs to drop to 79 before the kings will be in close. Just a few more 88 degree days with nights in the late 60's and early 70's, and the kings will be back.

I've been hoping to get some jelly balls and snatch some spade fish, but I can't find any jelly balls. The spades are there. I saw some rolling on top at the reef yesterday, however, no jelly balls, no spade fish.
[signature]