Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cutt slam
I know this is a little off Utah fishing, but has anyone ever done the cutt slam program in Wyoming. If so I am wondering how difficult it was. I am thinking of a fall road trip and thought this might be just the ticket.
[signature]
I've caught all 4 subspecies but not on 1 trip. I caught 3 of the 4 in a 24 hour period over 2 days about 10 days ago by hitting the Salt Creek ( I think it is also called Thomas Fork)(Bonneville),the Grey's and Snake River (Snake River)then driving thru Yellowstone NP and out to the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone (Yellowstone). If you hit Black's fork, Ham's fork or Labarge creek you could probable catch all 4 within a day or 2 without killing yourself driving all other the state. You might also fish in Yellowstone itself to shorten the trip but the fishing is very slow except the lake itself. I do find fishing in the fall for Cutts to be much slower than July or early August at these places.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I am going to go on a 3 or 4 day trip. I looked at maps of the range where the Greys River is and it looks like there are 3 different drainages right near there where different subspecies can be caught. It is interesting, as you noted, that cutts aren't as much of a fall fish as browns and rainbows can be.
[signature]
If you haven't fished this area and aren't familiar with the roads etc let me know and I'll give you some suggestions of where to fish and how to best access the various rivers and streams in the area. The Greys River is a great river for those who like to wade and is relatively uncrowded.
[signature]
I have done it 3 different times- I guess it was OK the first but after that the idea kind of lost it's zest. The camping and scenery was great though. I did put a size limit on the fish at least for myself- no fish under 11" counted. - I watched a show on this and the host counted a 4" cutt out of the Smith- technically he was correct just didn't seem kosher to me. That's went I put the size limit on. The Colorado Cutt was the last fish caught. Kinda of funny because I started on a river that I thought had them. Fished for almost entire day with no fish. I slipped on a rock and broke one of my rods. About 2 minutes later walking back to the truck I came upon a tree with a piece of apper tacked to it that read " River has been killed to re-establish a pure Colorado Cutt and will be replanted next year." So I set my broken rod against a stump and took a picture of it. It's titled Broken rod on the river of no fish."
[signature]
Remember that the Labarge was killed off last year-------- It probably has been replanted- maybe maybe not- but if it was I am sure they are very small. The Co. cutts won't be there. You'll have to travel up the road to the west of Pinedale to get one.
[signature]