Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What could be the problem?
Was on the Weber the other day, at the Stoddard exit. I tried fishing nymphs,using a San Juan worm attractor and a green caddis larva dropper. No hits. Switched the caddis to a sow bug, one 4" hit it. Half hour later switched to stonefly attractor and zebra midge dropper. One 6" hit. Just after dusk I put on critter that looks like a brown wooly bugger with no tail. Got one 8" hit on that. The river was ankle deep in the riffles to thigh deep in the holes. My strike indicator was 5' above my fly. Most of my casts were quartering upstream and dead-drifting through the holes. I had one split shot, size B, 18" above the flies. Any suggestions that might improve the catch rate?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't know if it is a weather thing. I had a client Tue and Wed up in Altamont. Fishing Monday was good, Tuesday was poor and Wed good. This was the same for the other guides up there. It was weird. I went through eveything in my fly boxes Tuesday with a fair outcome. Then Wed. I used maybe 8 flies.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We had good luck on a Chernobyl Ant with a 3' to 4' dropper of a black haresear. Hits on both.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
It might just be a weather thing. I hit the Weber and Lost Creek 8 days ago and caught about 30 browns in 2 hours. It was cloudy with a light drizzle coming down. 2 days later I returned and fished again for 2 hours and had about 6 strikes but didn't land a single fish. Ouch! The weather was beautiful but the fishing wasn't. The first day I caught all the fish on #10 thru 14 beadhead prince nymphs. The second day didn't have a strike on any nymph. The strikes I had where on a humpy, caddis and zonker. I ran into one guy who said he caught 6 or 8 on a parachute adams but he admitted they where all tiny ones under 12 inches. Don't get too analytical just because you have one bad day. I would say beadhead prince nymphs are by far my most productive fly for the fall and winter on the Weber. If you want to target the big browns in the fall try a streamer. My favorite for the Webe is a #10 beadhead pearl zonker.
[signature]
Try moving your indicator about 4' farther from your fly.
I have had good success on the Weber with a Copper John as a trailor fly.
[signature]