Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell BullFrog Marina 09-30-06
Friday evening, me and "Keep Castin'" decided to go and do some overnite fishing at Powell. We've been going consistently the last few months and the fishing hasn't slowed down a bit. We hit the fish buffet again. Fishing from the docks, we threw in all types of baits. Spinners, poppers, jigs, rapalas, and anchovies and were getting hits all night. We caught channels, stripers, bass, crappie, blue gill and even managed one walleye. It was unbelieveable. Caught over 100 stripers a majority were small and skinny. Did manage a few 5lb. Also caught about 15 channel, the biggest around 10lb. (you would have been proud TubeDude!) Fished from 10:30 pm till 5:00 am, took a little nap, then moved to the shallow end near the gasoline station and plucked out smallie after smallie with a spinner. Only few were big enough to keep. Around 9:00am, the action slowed down and we went home, exhausted, but very satisfied. [Tongue] All in all, another great trip. If it wasn't for the full moon, we'd be there again this weekend. (and trust me, it DOES do some wierd things to the fish over there. last full moon, the fish ignored our bait and swam around in circles.)
[signature]
Sounds like an awesome overnighter...I gotta get back down there soon!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great report...and I am not only proud of ya...I'm jealous. I haven't had a shot at Powell since moving back to Utah over two years ago. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Always a lot of fun to have a multispecies session. Powell is definitely the place for that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of those stripers are looking a bit snaky. There were a couple of years back in the early 80's when all we could get were "hammer handles"...big heads with long skinny bodies. They would use their last bit of energy to grab the lure and then hope you would reel in their lifeless shells and put them out of their misery. [/#0000ff][#0000ff]Sad to see. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope it doesn't get that bad down there again. But, stripers are voracious feeders and they will continue to kill shad until they are all gone.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sure sounds/looks like you guys had a great trip! Nice pics too! Thanks for the report.
[signature]