Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonars ... narrowed to the final 4 please help me pick.
I think I have read about anything and everything about sonar’s lately, and just as it gets a little clearer some tid-bit of info always muddles it up. So I think I have got it narrowed down to one of the following 3. Please give any opinions on them that you may have. This is going on a float tube so I know speed will not be an issue.

1st Cuda 168
69.99 at www.Basspro.com
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.T...rchResults

2nd Cuda 242
79.99 at cabelas.com

3rd Lowrance x50
119.00 at Cabelas.com

and its big brother

4th Lowrance x86

unfortunately price has to play a fairly major part. I would be able to get 1-3 now, but if I were to get 4 it would be a few weeks. And secondly is it worth the extra $$. I will also check Sportsman’s for price also when I get a chance to go over there. I am pretty much fishing for about anything that swims now thanks to this board and Wasatch801.

Thanks in advance and happy fishing.
Majja
[signature]
Given the choices you have listed, I would say that you get the most bang for your buck with the Lowrance x50. Vertical pixels are key, and it gives you 240 compared to 168 for the Cuda 168. It also has almost twice the power of the Cuda 242. Extra power may or may not be of any benefit if you are not fishing close to any other fish finders; however, if you are (which is often the case when ice fishing) the person with the most power usually wins. The x86 provides more horizontal pixels, which is of minimal benefit.
[signature]
I own two Lowrances (x-135 & 102c); the fish alarm has gone out on both of them. Not sure if this is important to you or not?

Also own a Garmin ( 240 ) & never had a problem. Use the garmin on a float tube and ice fishing.
[signature]
Lowrance...either one
[signature]