Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the natorious side walking crab
just a dumb question.

will it be crab season there during your fishing contest.

what I mean is are the crabs walking ashore during that time and can folks pick them up for dinner?

I know when my borther lived in gator country near the bioue the used to walk out on the beach at nite to pick them up. ( a family event thing )

or is this a little known secreat that I just blurted out [angelic]
[signature]
Dave,

I personaly do not go after any crabs other than the sand crab.

There are 3 primairy crabs in this area. I can say if you are able to run fast enough to catch the small sand crabs they make a great bait. They are the fastest moving crab I have seen. Their small size I think is what alows them to move so quickly.

The blue crab is the common crab in the area and are a delicusy. You got to be carefull about the blue crab as they are great thieves! they will steel an anglers bait and with out experionce you will not even know it is gone!

The rock crab is the most saught after but, when you catch them you are not alowed to keep them. If you have run into a rock crab you will see that they have one verry large claw and one quite small. That is if some one has not reasently caught it and remooved the large one claw. This is the only thing you are alowed to keep. Once you remove the claw it has to be returned to the waters where it will grow a new one in a matter of weeks and ready for the next claw harvest.

Now for disclosing a little known secret! It is only a secret to visiters unless they are on the island for more than 30 days. After thirty days they are nolonger considered a visiter but a temperatly transplant.( this covers many that are comanly called "Snow Birds")After six months you are now a resident and are in the position to be told all about the island and its secrets.
There is alot of residents that do collect crabs this way as it becomes a family event.

The biggest problem with this beeing done is at night it is very easy to find and damage a turtle nest if you are not very carefull.

This is something the residents will not alow! The turtle that frequent the island are protected by all. If any contact with a nest is seen you can plan on a trip to barrs by way of the local constable!
[signature]