Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A special thanks and question?
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I want to than everyone on this board for opening my eyes. Since getting back into fishing I’ve been concentrating on Bass but after reading the posts on this forum I realized that I was missing something. So I’ve decided to fish for what is in season if I wanted to get pissed over a hobby I would take up golfing.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]So now the question, I am and have always been interested in fly fishing what is the best way to get started, i.e. how to select a rod, what type of fly’s to start with how do you learn the techniques and what special considerations so I take into account to fly fish from my toon?[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I’ve been looking over the Fly Fishing/tying forum but the search tool is too granular and the don’t have a "Best of the Best" sticky like this forum does. But I have noticed that my Hero FlyGoddess is active on both forums. Don’t get jealous Tubedude you are also a fishing Hero and legend of mine also. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]My biggest problem to keep in mind when making suggestions is that funds are limited due to young children and a cheap wife. So with that in mind I also want to make sure that I always get the best value/quality/Time ratio I can.[/size][/font]
[signature]
RIGHT ON! and THANK YOU!
Fly Fishing is awesome (the reason Tube Dude likes it is cause the lines are made out of PVC[Wink])
We would be happy to help you along the way, even send you some of our favorite flies to try.
As far as gear, PLEASE! check them out first. I mean shake it and if possible take them out side and try casting. The clerk should also help you with tips on how to cast. Don't ever, ever, (did I say EVER) buy a rod cause someone tells you it is the best. That is up to you. You do have a bunch of less expensive options. Even the SA kit at Wal-Mart are nice along with TFO (Temple Fork Outfitters + full warranty). Reels, get one you can get spare spools or cartridges for. Reel not that important at this point. LINE! get the good stuff (& $50.+) The line will make a cheap rod cast great.
If you have friends that FF hang out with them. I know if you lived here in the City of Salt I would be happy to go with you and let you try different things.
Good luck to you and TIGHT LINES!
FG
[signature]
He does seem to be obsessed with PVC.

Salt Lake would be a little out of the way for me but I appreciate the offer. I think there is one fly shop in town that I'll pay a visit to who knows they may offer to help instruct that is one way to get people to stay loyal to your store. I'm also asking some oldtimers at our church if they fly fish or know any one who does so they can help get me started.

Also I've got a DVD comming from Netflix "[url "http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70052161&trkid=90529"]Fly Fishing: The Lifetime Sport[/url]" also I've been reading "A River Runs Through it" that has really got me wanting to get out there as it make the art of Fly fishing sound beautiful.

So would fishing from the toon be the same as in what ever size rod I use while standing I can use while floating? or do I need to down size?
[signature]
an 8'6" or 9' rod in what ever weight (around here I would say a 5wt) Not sure what type of fish you will be flinging to, but if Bass, then I would say a 9' 5 or 6wt would be an all around. 10' rods are great for tubes, but hard to find, so 9'. Plus if you want to fish from shore or rivers, a 9' would be just fine. A roll cast will come in real handy.
Remember, once you get started, PRACTISE every chance you get. I even take the tip section of one of my rods and attach a long piece of yarn and practise while watching TV.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Obsessed with PVC? Hey, I resemble that remark. However, I have had to defer to buyng regular lines, since the 1/2" PVC lines don't cast very well. Just a bit stiff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To the excellent advice already dished out by our resident fly fishing dish, I will add a couple of thoughts. I have taught fly fishing classes and have experienced what most newbies are thinking and what they have to go through.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Go to your closest REAL fly fishing shop, as FG has suggested. Hang around and try to meet some of the regulars. Look on the bulletin board, if they have one, to see if there are any kind of meetings, seminars or club get-togethers that won't throw rocks at you if you show up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. Try to get one of the shop pros to rig up a couple of rods and to let you get the feel for them. Bear in mind that working a flyrod all day requires more energy than just chucking out a bait rig several times in a day of fishing. Explain the type of fishing you will probably be doing...species, waters, types of flies (dry, nymph, streamer, etc.)...and also let them know your budget. Of course, most shops will try to talk you into bigger ticket items. As a general rule, it will be better quality, but you do not have to take out a second mortgage to get started. If you truly can't afford it, don't buy cheap if you can wait until you can afford what you need and it can be budgeted.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. Go online and get your search engine smokin' on "fly fishing". You could never possibly read and digest everything available, but after while some of it will sink in, and you will start to realize what the most important aspects are, and to be able to reason out what will work best for you. There are also online links to videos on everything from knot tying to casting to tying flies. It's all good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]4. Don't just buy rod, reel and line and go to the water to learn how to cast. Get help in putting together a balanced outfit, and (as FG suggests) don't buy cheap line. Once you have your system assembled, try to get some casting lessons, from someone qualified to watch you and help you through the prerequisite newbie spasms and blunders. There has never been anyone born who could pick up a rod and make beautiful long casts without instruction and practice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]5. Again, echoing FG, practice THE RIGHT WAY. Study and learn the proper technique and then practice the RIGHT way until it becomes second nature. Don't start off trying to set distance records. Practice on the lawn, in a park or on a small pond with no trees to grab your backcasts. Begin with trying to place the fly accurately at modest distances. Get the feel of your rod, and how it behaves differently as you lengthen your casts. That is probably the biggest single thing a fly flinger has to learn...to wait for the rod to "load" on the backcast, and then to properly time the forward cast. Do it right and it becomes a thing of beauty. Mess it up and you will pop off your flies and/or "get wrapped up in your work" as the loop of line collapses around you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Above all, don't be intimidated by all the hoopla created by overly serious fly fishermen. Yes, it does become addictive and very close to a religion. However, it is not the magical mystical challenge that the veterans sometimes seem to portray it. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, you can make it as simple or as complicated as you wish. Even the rankest amateurs often catch fish and have fun on their first fly fishing adventure. On the other hand, there are plenty of "pros" who can't hook a fish even when they are rising all around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have a good collection of knowledgeable fly fishermen on this board and we are all willing to help where we can. Just be aware that in most matters of fishing, every subject has a variety of perspectives and opinions. There is nothing that is 100 percent right for everyone...or all wrong for everybody. Fly fishing is highly subjective and very much a matter of personal tastes and opinions. So...listen to everything and read all you can...and then fit it to you and what you are all about.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
hey. im a fairly new flyfisherman. going on my 4th year. one thing i noticed that will help you cast fish is when you cast, the objective in most case for trout or bass is you dont want your fly to smack the water, the ideal cast it gently lands on the surface tensions. i learned that a goofed cast that splashes can actually catch fish, you just have to keep the fly moving with the current. like the gods before me have said its all about practice. you get better and can cast farther everytime.
[signature]
Hummmmmmm, you've got a lot of great info. on your replies. I've done the fly bit and still do it. I've been fishing now for over, and I do mean over 60 years now. One thing it took a long time to learn, for me. You've kind of got to decide if you want to catch fish or do the visual, challenging thing. What I'm saying is drys vs, wets for flys. I ain't even going to consider bait, spinners, etc. which you can do on a fly rod. Why do them on a fly rod? Mostly because on a fly rod it's more fun. Amyways, the lesson I learned and is a published fact, is that over 90 % of a trout's diet is nymphs.!!!!! [shocked] I suspect this applies to most fish, but have'nt checked it. That being said, learn nymph fishing first. Don't even need a fly rod! [crazy] Short deep drifts work for 80 % of the fish. Another important consideration is still water vs. moving water. For me, moving water has been most enjoyable because it's just more variation and the country is just better. Anyways, if you're fishing areas similar to my stuff, maybe I can help with some go to nymphs. Some of em work in miost moving water areas. Give me a pm if ya want.
Just as an after thought, added a warm water guy, caught on a nymph and fly rod in moving water.[Smile]
Leaky
Leaky, you are awesome![laugh]
[signature]
Looks like you're getting plenty of good advice BA. I won't add anything else except to say that fly fishing is a whole lot of fun. My first fly caught fish came at age 10 and I've been hooked ever since. That was 40 years ago. I won't run down anybody else's methods but I enjoy catching fish on flies and a fly rod more than any other method. If you stick with it and learn it will be time well spent.

z~
[signature]
Thank you everyone I look forward to reporting back as I learn more and if all goes well I can get my wife and girls going also.
[signature]
I've only been fly fishing for about a year and I relate to what you are saying. I took a class at a local high school, one night a week for 6 weeks. That helped a lot, if only to give me one perspective of the sport. You could also check out your local library, it may have books and videos on fly fishing. Books are OK, just remember what the gurus on this forum have said: there is NOT just one way to do it right. Good luck and tight lines!
[signature]