Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick start the forum
Seems like we are lagging lately. So I decided to share a trip report. No river is mentioned so I won't give away all of it, although there are enough clues to figure it out. Enjoy.

The river fishes great in the fall, spring, and winter, during the
summer the river is full of people float tubing and kids splashing
makes fishing difficult and there are other places to fish. When I hit
the river I was slogging through six inches of snow. The felt on my
waders quickly clogged with ice making it more of a ski trip to the
river. This is a tailwater that stays open all year. Right below the
dam is a long deep stretch before it starts its run down the canyon.

The whitefish stack up here in winter eager to take any nymph floating past. They make strong runs and fight hard. Most people here throw them on the bank thinking they are trash fish, when in fact they are the only natives left in the river. The cutthroats where pushed out by the planted rainbows and browns.

I make it down to the river without any damage to me or my equipment and start fishing. The indicator moves and I set the hook. Water flies off the lifted line like a shower of diamonds and the rod bends deep. I can tell from the long surging runs and head shaking this is a whitefish. After a 10 minute battle, it comes to net and is released to be caught another day.

Behind me is the spill way. This dam was created to hold irrigation
water and so the spillway only flows in spring. Other times, a deep
pool sits at the base. There are HUGH trout here, nosing the moss for sow bugs and they tease me by flashing their chrome sides in the sun.
I cast out a nymph and let it sink. To my surprise the indicator dips. Again I set the hook and fight a nice 14 inch splake (a cross between a brookie and a lake trout). Not pretty, just plain gray with some white spots, and I let him go.

I mess with the whitefish for a little longer then head down the river. I put on a peach glo-bug and tail a creation of mine that does well and cast up stream. A small form darts from under a bush and smashed the glo-bug. The little rainbow leaps like a tarpon and fights like trout 10 times its size before it comes in. The red stripe runs deep red down its side. It looks like a small steelhead. I let him go and he darts right back under the bush. I cast again and the form darts to the fly but stops short. I Smile and move down.

Fishing is good that day. I pulled splake, browns and rainbows out of the normal runs. The sun has crept down the canyon and feels good on my back. I constantly fight iced guides turning my rod into a cane pole, but I don't care. The air is around 38 degrees and the snow sparkles giving the campground I am going through a fresh clean look. Through the summer these campgrounds get hammered and most of the people who use them have not mastered the concept of a garbage can. Their idea or recyling is throw it on the bank and let "nature take its course." Disgusting and unforgivable! The campgrounds yield up planter rainbows from the year, all cloned 10 inch plain fish that really don't fight.

I hit the last bend before the car, saving the honey hole for last. I
pulled out a nice 18 inch brown from this hole in the spring and with
the spawn just finishing I suspect he is still around and hungary. I
sneak up to peak, loose my footing and splash right into the river,
thankful I didn't get wet. I look up in time to see the large dark
brown form swimming up stream. Well next time. I move down a small riffle by the car and cast. I am thinking of the warm elk stew I have cooking at home and the homemade rolls that will sop up the rich gravy.

Somehow, the fish know when I am day dreaming and my rod bends deep snapping me back to the task at hand. Fortunately the fish hooked itself and from the bend in the 5 wt it is big. I fight it carefully for 20 minutes before I get a look at it and my heart leaps. It is a nice 20 inch cutthroat. Deep brown with red gill plates. I fight for a few minutes more and barely slip it into the net. I remove the hook and take a look and to my dismay the whole left side lower jaw of the fish is mangled. The right side is perfect. The scars of a treble hook battle. I admire the fish and release him back. I had my slam for the day.

I got out of the river, changed into my shoes and went home to eat. I love fishing in the winter, a whole river to myself and the fish
willing to cooperate. I can't wait to get back.

katghoti
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Very Nice. I can't wait till winter and those size 32's[Wink][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am going to try my best to get out on a river tomorrow, so I busted my BUM today with mowing & Winter fertilizing lawn, turning water off under house, changing furnace filters and covering the swamp cooler. Oil change tonight on the Zuk and I am FREE![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Want to get on the river tomorrow and the big Stillwater Saturday with a bunch of swell guys.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It's my turn, I have been watching, putting the fly on, removing fish and tangles and on some occassions teaching how and where to cast all summer (granted I got the bank account for it[Wink]). LOOK OUT! HERE I COME![cool][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I know where you were, but are you saying there is significant snow up there? Do you think it will stay long? That are hunts very well for elk with a good snow fall.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Katghoti. Things have been a little slow here. I also have tomorrow off to go fishing but haven't made up my mind where to go yet. For some reason I've never gotten around to fishing the river in your report. Probably because I like solitude so I never bother with it in the summer and then don't think to fish it in the fall or winter. As my name implies I take my 2 dogs fishing with me most of the time. So my question is are dogs allowed on this river and is it a reasonable place to take the dogs along when the crowds are gone? Don't worry if you don't get back to me before tomorrow as I already have 4 or 5 rivers in mind where big browns are always hitting this time of year and are great for the dogs.
[signature]
The report was from this winter, but it was a memorable day so I shared. I don't see a problem taking your dogs, people do it all the time. Send me a PM Riverdog and share some of your other rivers and secrets. I would love to share some of mine.

katghoti
[signature]
My favorite time of year for flyfishing is quickly approaching.I will soon be hitting the M Provo,Weber and the river you just described.I love fishin the Weber anywhere from Echo all the way down to Peterson after they cut the flows.We'll be camping right below the dam at Jordanelle 19-22 Oct with quick access to the Provo without having to worry about hurrying home for 4 days.Can't wait!
[signature]