Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nestle Moves Forward
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]A report from Trout Unlimited [/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][Sad]Nestle Moves Forward[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]As reported three issues ago (see SKL, Fall 2005), Nestle Waters North America signed a contract with the McCloud Community Services District to bottle the area’s water in an enormous plant the Swiss giant wants to build in the town of McCloud. The original agreement, however, was struck down by a Superior Court judge due to the lack of an Environmental Impact Report. As part of the California Environmental Quality Act, Siskiyou County, as the lead regulatory agency, has recently prepared a Draft Environmental Impact Report (Report) for the proposed water bottling plant. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Intergral to the CEQA process is the opportunity for public comment. Siskiyou County received over 3,000 emails and hundreds of written responses to the project. California Trout and Trout Unlimited jointly prepared comments on the Report. In short, we think the document is extremely deficient in the necessary information needed to adequately determine impacts to such a large project. We are also concerned about contradictory evidence regarding how much water Nestle proposes to use per year over the course of the 100-year agreement.[/size][/green][/font] [font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Full Disclosure[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Before the project moves forward, it’s crucial that we have all the facts about the size and scope of the project. But the Report still leaves it unclear. It states that “not withstanding any provisions to the contrary in the agreement any groundwater extracted from wells on the proposed site for use by the bottling facility will be included in the 1,600 acre-feet volume limitation.” This would seem to be contrary to the agreement which allows 1,600 feet of spring water a year and allows groundwater pumping, which is qualified in the contract as non-spring water. The Report looks to the Agreement and the Agreement suggests that more water would be used. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The Report also states that the proposed facility “may be used to bottle spring water from other sources”. This implies that the capacity of the plant is greater than 1,600 acre feet, an implication supported by the contract which allows for additional purchases of water above and beyond 1,600 acre-feet. The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires a clear description of such a project as well as an analysis of reasonably foreseeable impacts. Full capacity must be disclosed.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]As described in the Agreement, it appears likely that Nestle intends to utilize unregulated groundwater and truck in bulk water from other springs. The District, therefore, has an obligation to analyze these potential impacts. [/green][/size][/font]
[signature]
question,

michigan has 10% of all the worlds drinking water.

North america has 25% of all the worlds drinking water.

so why dosnt Water sell for the same price as oil all over the rest of the world market? and why dosnt american industry own our water mines?

Its just a question.[crazy]

there is just so much here that dosnt make any cents on the dollar....

I mean we have forgen companies bottleing our water and selling it back to us.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]What I find funny is that people complain about the price of gas but are willing to pay a buck or so for a bottle of filtered water with a fancy name. Go figure![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
you ready for sticker shock?

the cheepest I can find water single serving is 1.25 for a 16 ounce or less bottle. there are brands that cost even higher but I will use this one for calculations.

there are 8 - 16oz bottles in a gallon and when you figure that to total a gallon, it comes to $10.oo per gallon. man for half that price I can get a bottomless cup of coffee at my corner resturaunt served with a Smile none the less...[cool]

I start paying that kind of money for water I want sugar, carmal, caffeen ect added to my water,

I buy store baught water every month my self, at 50cents per gallon, and honestly I can not tell the differance between that clorinated water than the clorinated distilled water that is susposed to be streight out of the mountain stream.

truth is all that bottled water is distilled and clorinated. fresh water has living organisms in it. and if you dont kill off the organisms that you will get sick from drinking that bottled water after a period of time.
[signature]
say, do you remember when the only bottled water used to be Peria or something like that, or am I dating myself again?
[signature]
You must be talking about that French water they sell. Thats back before everyone started selling all these bottles of water in the store. If I do have to buy water it's usually Poler Springs out of ME.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Dave,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Wow 10 $ a gallon for H2O. Gas is cheaper in my area, so is milk, for that matter, so is booze.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I guess that means I should be frugal and drink more beer or Tequila.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One note, Typically bottled water in not distilled - it is filtered only. Distillation is a different process - that is where the water is converted to vapor then back to a pure liquid again without any particulate matter. All distilled water has to be legally and specifically labeled as "Distilled" because there are applications(medical and other) where it is imperative that the water be verified as 100 % pure - as only distillation can provide. The commercial filtering processes do not make water 100 % pure.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As far as chlorination goes, The amount of chlorine added by law is only enough to inhibit bacterial growth - not kill anything. If they add enough chlorine to kill everything, a person could not safely drink it for very long. Chlorinated water still contains some microbial life forms - but at a concentration level such that most people will not be adversely affected.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another interesting note. The water you buy falls within the FDA's jurisdiction. The water from your tap is under the Department of Agriculture, EPA (safe drinking water act(SDWA)) and is locally enforced. The FDA has lower standards for purity in some areas and higher in others, but, the FDA, being a federal agency can accept the EPA standards or not. With that, it stands to reason that your tap water could be cleaner than just commercially filtered water. Not always the case though - quality asssurance seems to be a localized political issue and the FDA often accepts the EPA's guidlines. The crux of the matter here is the frequency of quality testing. Local tap water is constantly being tested locally. Bottled water only is mandated to be tested by the FDA on a yearly basis. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Make sense to you ? Well, not entirely to me, but I've known myself to be dumb in some things.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Lastly, when you purchase water, carefully note the differences on the labels. The bottle will say something like the following:[/size]
[size 3]Drinking water, Filtered water, purified water, spring water, well water or distilled water - all of these designations have corresponding legal definitions and specific requirements to be labeled as such. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]However, if you've ever tried to read those labels, you'll know that it really doesn't matter too much what the label says, because you've probably discovered that a person would need a Ph.D. in chemistry to understand some of that stuff. Me, I took lots of chemistry in school - but, I'm just a lowly Biologist that drinks water and likes to fish in it.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Sorry about the rambling - hopefully, I got all that stuff straight - it's been a while since I took that seminar from the Salt Lake Water District.[/size]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]My tap water is too hard even after going through my water softner. So I buy the 2½ gal generic containers. It probably lasts me a month. I don't drink that much water. I guess that it is suspose to be cool to be seen carrying a designer's bottle of water. Whats next - a tattoo?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
ya thats the stuff, it came in a green glass bottle with a screw off cap, "for the price you think it would have had a cork in it to wiff" I could buy a pint of mogan david for less than that costs back then... LOL "md 20-20" or "mad dog as the kids around my hood would call it.."

I had the distinct unpleasue of learning what they ment by mad dog one new years eve... then my siseters dog lapped up what I didnt drink out of my glass, new years day there was ralf and ralf jr grundging around the house..[pirate] lol,
[signature]
the state of michigan says twice a year, and the water company has to pay the inspector 80 both times for them to come in and inspect the process.

I was fully aware of the differances and distinctions but I got lazy and didnt want to do all the typing, You said it better than I could have.

but ya, there are different regulations for the different destinations of where the water is headed, not to mention points of origin. it only has to go though the FDA if it crosses the state line.

I learned about this just in the last couple months, I was attempting to open a hotdog stand and my county says no no to bottled water for cooking my hot dogs or making coffee or washing dishes. I was trying to get around locating or sucuring localy cirtified and tested water (Public water supply) for my stand, Carnivals use Fire Hydrents for water supply, My opperation just isnt big enough on its own to tap in on my own.

My health department says there is no garentee or record of what is in those bottles or where the water sorce originated. any one can fill a bottle and slap a cap and lable on it and put it on a store shelf.
[signature]
I go though two 2 1/2 gallon containers per month, I use it for cooking and coffee. I refill mine at an island for 50 cents per gallon. when I have to buy new jugs then my water cost 1.00 per gallon.

now my dog also drinks the same water I do, so I have to buy her three 5 gallon jugs full every month. Refillable jugs.

my well watter is has 400 times the amount of sulfate allowed for consumption. to put it in to perspective, I can bring home a five gallon bucket full of watter and 5 dozen minnows. if I add one cup of my tap watter to the bucket, litteraly with in seconds the minnows start bellying up.

its not enough to condem my well, they say I can get a 1000 dollar filtration system to get rid of the sulfates...

to give ya a visualization, my watter closet bowl is perminantly stained black. the plastic in my shower is coated with a deap dark red rust. It kind of gives new meaning to squeeky clean,,,, OIL CAN! >>>> said the tin man....LOL
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Dave,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I don't think you've ever mentioned to me that you have a dog. Well maybe you did but I forgot. What kind is it ? Must be a tiny thing if it only drinks 5 gallons a month. Just one of my hounds can put that away in one drink. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][inline 2003_0516Image0010R.JPG][/size][/black]
[signature]