Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Fishing hawaii style
[font "Times New Roman"]Many years ago my boss told me I had a weeks annual leave owing to me from a previous year and if I didn’t take it during the next three months I’d lose it. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]A trip to Hawaii was hurredly booked and my wife flew over and I stayed in one of the many Hotels fronting Waikiki Beach.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]While there I booked to go deep sea fishing and met the boat at the wharf at 6:am the next morning. Prior to leaving Australia I had purchased “Scop” motion sickness patches from our local pharmacy and that morning had stuck one to the bare skin behind both ears.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]There were four crew members and six of us paying to go fishing. A married couple from Arkansas. Three men, one from Virginia, another from Wisconsin, the third from Japan and myself an Australian.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Before we had cleared the harbour six Big Game rods were positioned in rod holders at the stern and a crewmember produced a pack of playing cards which he proceeded to fan out and offer to each person.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]We each took one card which determined who was to land the first fish hooked. I drew the third position in the lottery.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The sea was flat as a tack as the saying goes. There was no appreciable wind and the sun was shining brightly. I noticed there were not many people standing around and I looked about to see where they had gone.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]It was then I realised the interior of the cabin contained several triple deck bunks and three of the missing persons were allready occupying them. That left myself and the lady from Arkansas the only able bodied fishing persons.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]An hour out of Honolulu we had the first strike and the chap who had drawn the lowest card struggled off the bunk and staggered to the stern where he scull dragged an unfortunate Mahi Mahi(what we know at home as Dolphin Fish back home) to the transom of the boat where it was dispatched with a gaff through the brain in order “to stop it bleeding all over the boat”.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]The second strike was the turn of the lady from Arkansas. Speaking to her earlier she and I agreed whoever was not reeling in the fish would video the other using that person’s video camera so while she was reeling I was videoing. Her fish was also a Maki Maki . The fish were similar in size about a meter in length. When it came my turn the fish was again a Maki Maki.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]When each of us had caught our single fish we returned to port. It was not until we began entering the harbour that I began to feel unwell. However I have to say the Scop patch had worked well I can recommend them. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]It was then explained by the crew the six fish caught that day were the property of the boat which suited me just fine as I had eaten Maki Maki the night before at a restaurant and I was not at all impressed with the flavour and texture of the flesh.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Being a pelagic fish they have a high metabolic rate and I think they needed to be well bled out to remove the rank taste of stale blood.[/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey crabby1,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Nice fishing report ! Often, as I have discovered, fish caught on a charter are the property of the captain or the boat. However, that is not always the case. Many charter captains or guides want the client to take the fish home for either food or mounting purposes.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]As for the taste, I like all fish. How they are prepared is often the key. For example: The best fish I have ever eaten, was a carp prepared by a chinese family(when I was in China). I have no idea how it was prepared(I was there when it was caught only). Although I have tried to recreate that culinary delight, I have never been able to match the flavor. Dang it ! I have been kicking myself for 20 some years now for not taking notes on how they did it. [/size][/black]
[signature]
Dually noted, what a great report! I also have to agree with my boy fishhound. It's not so much the species of fish, but how it's prepared. I had smoked mullet patties one time, and it tasted exactly like salmon patties.
[signature]