Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Augers
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Okay so the ice season is creeping up pretty fast. I think this year I might just purchase a power auger. I was just wondering which ones were good, and if any of you guys out there that have any suggestions on which ones I should be looking at. I would like to get one that is nice but also reasonably priced. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
here I am screaming and hollaring about not getting enuff ice, and now you want to drill holes in it.[mad][sly]

the first auger that comes to mind is "Jiffy"
for the dollar amount, light weight, and size hole, and speed of drilling, I like the 3 horse Jiffy.
[signature]
[Tongue] Is there another kind out there ? Your talking to a jiffy man , but I guess theres another brand out there called bite master or somthing like that !! LOL !! Most people after owning one of those , will buy a Jiffy , and use their other one as a line winder , guess it works good for that !

P.S There both good ones , I just prefer the Jiffy , they always start in the cold !!

[signature]
you got anouther jiffy man here.mine is 15 years old and havent even changed the spark plug ,aways starts on the second pull no matter what the temp is. the bite master thats a good one [inline laughing.gif]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Kraizee Skot,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]It looks like we have kind of a stand-off between this board favoring Jiffy and the folks on the Utah board favoring Strike-master or Eskimo. I wonder if it is not a case of cost or availability in the locations.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A friend of mine just bought a used Jiffy - he hasn't used it yet(as you know, we have no ice in Utah still). I'm going over his place this next week so he can show it off to me.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Arrrgh ! The choices ![/size]
[signature]
well it looks like i'm out numbered on this one hmm..

i'v run a Strike Master for well over 15 years never had any major problems other then changing the cutters.. with them as far as the power head goes both jiffy and strike master use the same power head so i guess it's your choice..
[signature]

I had my 3hp jiffy for years aswell one tuff lil ice auger, i even lost the gas tank once outta of a sliegh on a rough skidoo trail so i rigged up a popbottle and she got me through that lake trout ice trip with no troubles. I have drilled thousands of holes with mine ITS wORTH every penny!!!..How ever i dont like the new plastic pull start houseing on the new models i like my old metal one no chance of it cracking in the cold like the new jiffy models.

PS To the jiffy makers dont change a good thing!!!
Keep em metal
[signature]
I'm new here but most definately not new to the icefishing world or augers . I own a Jiffy 30 ,10 inch 3 hp that has never let me down and just keeps on cutting but I decided to test a Nils Master 8 inch this year after reading many rave reviews . Well I still have ice left in some areas so I am still drilling a few holes but after giving the Nils a solid running daily this year and drlling many many holes as in a few thousand this auger rocks . Its not only fast but it truly has been very dependable and wow talk about light . For running and gunning I used the Nils and will continue to . Yes it's a bit on the pricey side compared to some other makes and I have run them all at one time or another other than maybe the Husquavarna and the Nils in its first year all round has been an eye opener for me . You can also turn it into a handbomber if need be . Well built,light and extremely fast .

TD
[signature]
ya, the newer modles are so light, the new designs on the cutting blades are sweet, and the rpms are just a rockin...

my ol jiffy is one of them buggers where I need to go out in the morning and drill my holes go home take a nap and go back out in the after noon to fish... on the up side it cuts a 12 inch hole...

it is a 73 modle and as heavy as a boat motor...

by the way, nice mess of crappie...[cool]
[signature]
Yes Dave I can definately relate to us needing a nap before we can fish after running those brutes . LOL. Drilling a 100 holes in a day while guiding or out was not unusual but sure gets tough on the back especially when the ice reaches that 3ft stage . Carrying that brute through deep snow or slush is not fun but I still like the sweet crack of her roar on a cold frosty morning as it's music to my ears and never really noticed the weight till I started swiss cheesing lakes this year with the Nils.

The Nils is the standard version and she is tall compared to all augers but will drill through 4ft without an extension but there is a shorter version available which makes it same height as any other auger and drills the standard 42 inches without extension .

The thing that I don't like with alot of the newer augers especially the strikemasters is that with the push for lightweight and speed is that they give up the durability of said units . There seem to be alot of issues with plastic handles breaking and such and even some issues with the flighting of the latest and greatest 4 stroke from SM because it is a composite material .There customer service though is top notch and they stand behind their product .

My buds and clients just chuckle when I start pounding holes with the Nils because I just find it a fun auger to run and if needed a 100 holes is just a drop in the bucket . We held a meet and greet for kids and charity up here this year with around 50 in attendance and boy did I drill holes . LOL

I've been getting into crappy fishing the last couple of seasons as they are not real common in my area but sure are fun to catch and sweet eating . Sometimes it takes alot of holes to stay on them or too find them as I'm sure you know . I can't wait till next year for them again but in the meantime till the ice is completely gone which will be soon I'll give the lakers,whities,splake and brookies a few more jabs .

TD
[signature]
Nils Power Auger.... Simply the best
[signature]
Only Jiffys for this guy [Wink]

I'd get buried in a shallow grave if I used anything else.
[signature]
[reply]
Nils Power Auger.... Simply the best [/reply]
[signature]
I've got a Strike Master,its 15 years old and still running strong.
[signature]