Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boat capsized at the Berry
Anyone heard anything more about the boat capsized at the Berry?
[signature]
HELLICOPTERS ARE SERCHING FOR THE OTHER 2 MISSING.
[signature]
November 8th, 2006 @ 5:16pm
(KSL News) -- A search is underway right now for two boaters missing on Strawberry Reservior.
The missing people and two others were in a boat that swamped late this morning in windy conditions. Two of the four made it to shore and two did not.
Search and rescue crews have found the submerged boat, but there's still no sign of the missing boaters.
[url "http://kutv.com/local/local_story_312195234.html"]http://kutv.com/local/local_story_312195234.html[/url] video clip at this link.
That sucks. I was up there until about 11am and it was nice. I got off as the wind was just starting.
[signature]
I sure hope that they aren't any of our guys. I hate to hear of boats that have capsized, and folks in the water. especially this time of year.

AFdan52
[signature]
It is not good to hear this news, we all know how bad the berry 11 o'clock can be. With the cold water I wish them the best.
I heard on KSL radio that they were in the middle of the lake and the two that made it swam toward the Ladders and the two that are missing swam toward the marina.
[signature]
that is very Sad news indeed.. with water temp's and the high winds it would be hard to survive someing like that.. it's to bad they did not have PFD's on they might of had a chance of making it.. [unsure]

in cold wether and high winds i like to keep a PFD on or at lest with in reach.. or when i'm walking on thin ice it's a good idea as well..
[signature]
Boat overturns in Strawberry Reservoir; search is on for two people [url "mailto:jbergreen@sltrib.com?subject=Salt Lake Tribune: Boat overturns in Strawberry Reservoir; search is on for two people"][#000000]By Jason Bergreen
The Salt Lake Tribune[/#000000][/url] Article Last Updated:11/08/2006 06:11:44 PM MST
Posted: 6:06 PM- Searchers in Wasatch County are looking for a man and a woman who disappeared Wednesday afternoon when the boat they were in overturned on Strawberry Reservoir.
Wasatch County Sheriff's Office search and rescue crews and members of the Forest Service began looking for the couple about 3:35 p.m., Capt. John Rogers said.
Two other people, a male and female who were also in the boat, were able to make it to shore. Their physical condition and whether they were taken to a local hospital was not known Wednesday night, Rogers said.
The missing couple had been in the water for about three hours before the search began, and were last seen wearing blue life jackets and swimming west toward the marina.
Authorities had found the boat and the blue life jackets several hours into the search, but there has been no sign of the missing boaters as of 5:45 p.m.
"There is still a chance they made it to shore," Rogers said.
A helicopter was also being used to help locate the pair.
[signature]
They reported on KSL radio that they had found the life jackets that they were wearing. They must not have had them on securely. They also reported that the two that swam to shore were swimming for over two hours. The prevailing winds were likely towards The Ladders and if the two that are lost were trying to swim into the wind it would have been an uphill battle for sure. Perhaps they capsized closer to The Marina and thus the temptation to swim to the closest shoreline.
[signature]
I was there today, just haven't had time yet to post the report, and don't really feel like it after this accident. We came in at about 11:30 and the winds were howling, easily 20-25 knots. Even in my deep-V we were a little uneasy as we came around that last point going north to the marina. It was extremely rough and the waves seemed to be coming from two directions and kind of mounding up. Sure wish we had fished the north end today, maybe we could have helped out. From my understanding, all four had PFD's when they went into the water, apparently the sherriff's department has found two of the PFD's floating. Hypothermia makes people do weird things. This is indeed a tragedy.
[signature]
Search continues for two missing in Strawberry Reservoir [url "mailto:jbergreen@sltrib.com?subject=Salt Lake Tribune: Search continues for two missing in Strawberry Reservoir"][#000000]By Jason Bergreen
The Salt Lake Tribune
[/#000000][/url] Article Last Updated:11/08/2006 08:40:48 PM MST
Posted: 8:39 PM- Searchers in Wasatch County are looking for an Orem husband and wife who disappeared Wednesday morning when the boat they were in overturned on Strawberry Reservoir.
Wasatch County Sheriff's Office search and rescue crews and members of the Forest Service began looking for Cathryn Springer Roundy, 23, and Steven Lloyd Roundy, 29, about 3:35 p.m., Capt. John Rogers said.
The couple was last seen about 11:30 a.m. swimming west toward the marina, Rogers said. Two other people in the boat, Michael David New, 27, of Provo, and Kimball L. Roundy, 28, of Springville, were able to swim to the east shore of the reservoir, south of an area known as the Ladders. They walked to Highway 40 where they flagged down a Utah Highway Patrol trooper.
New and Kimball Roundy were cold but didn't suffer any injuries, Rogers said. They were still at the reservoir at 7:30 p.m. waiting for word on the other two.
The group had been on the reservoir fishing from a 14-foot aluminum boat, when the vessel abruptly turned and became swamped with water, Rogers said. The boat was out in the middle of reservoir with little wind blowing when it capsized.
Investigators originally thought the Roundys were wearing blue life jackets when they were last seen, but Rogers later said it appears none of the boat's occupants had life vests on. The missing couple had
Advertisement [url "http://63.225.61.3/ADCLICK/CID=fffffffcfffffffcfffffffc/area=slt../adsize=300x250/keyword=/site=/acc_random=15767924/pageid=15767924"][Image: 1pixel.gif][/url]

been in the water for about three hours before the search began.
About 5:15 p.m., authorities found the blue life jackets that had been in the boat floating north of an area known as the Narrows, but there was no sign of the missing boaters.
"There is still a chance they made it to shore," Rogers said at 5:45 p.m.
A medical helicopter searched for the Roundys during the afternoon but gave up when it got dark. A Department of Public Safety helicopter equipped with infrared night vision equipment was still trying to locate the Roundys along the shore Wednesday night, Rogers said. Boats were also in the reservoir searching for the pair.
[signature]
[reply]
The group had been on the reservoir fishing from a 14-foot aluminum boat, when the vessel abruptly turned and became swamped with water, Rogers said. The boat was out in the middle of reservoir with little wind blowing when it capsized.
Investigators originally thought the Roundys were wearing blue life jackets when they were last seen, but Rogers later said it appears none of the boat's occupants had life vests on. [/reply]

This is a Sad story and my heart goes out to the friends and family of the two lost ones. I can't help but question what they were thinking with 4 people in a 14 foot boat (way undersized for 4 people on that lake), in the middle of strawberry reservoir, at 11:00 in the morning (worst time for wind) , no lifejackets, in November (air temp?, water temp 42 degree's). The fishing is good right now but its just not worth risking your life!
[signature]
Tragic! I saw a survivor on the news last night, and i swore it was a bfter from the wiper tourney. I don't recognise the name though.
[signature]
Very Sad news indeed. At least there were 2 survivors. In that water temp, I'm surprised they made it as far as they did.
[signature]
I dont mean to be cold hearted about this,its very Sad,but people need to have a little more since when fishing on big water in smaller boats.ALWAYS watch the weather while on the lake,staying in bays,head right for shore when the white caps start.That lake has scared me a few times with my 20ft boat and can change on a dime.Maybe there should be a law changes on the smaller alum boats as far as the number of people or weight restrictions,it would help from people from pileing into those little boats,I have seen it many times up there with six people or familys crowded in one of those little rentals.I hope they find the other two people.Its very Sad.
[signature]