Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lure making for newbie
I would really like to get into lure making--spinners, spoons, and jigs. I have tied flies and can easily adapt to jigs. But I have no experience with spinners and/or spoons, though the latter is undoubtedly simple. Is there a recommended pamphlet or booklet on spinner making?
Where is the best place to buy the materials and tools?
[signature]
Jannsnetcraft has a good supply to start you out, also lurecraft is my supplier for plastic.
[signature]
just read somemore of the post on the lure and jigmaking board and ask lots of questions there are lots of people here that can help you. we have instrutinal classes here in northern Utah and learn the fine arts from grand master tubedude
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome to our playroom. As you have been advised, you can cruise back through some of our past threads and pick up a lot of good stuff. You can also use a browser to enter "Lure Making" and you will find tons of sites on both supplies and instructions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I pour and paint jigs, make spoons and spinners, tie flies, build rods and all that good stuff. For a lot of my spinner blades and beads, I find Cabelas to be the least expensive. However, Janns is very close and they sometimes have some of the harder to find tacklecraft items. Barlows Tackle also carries a lot of good stuff at reasonable prices. They also have some lure making tutorials on their website. If you have trouble finding anything in particular, let me know and I will point you in the right direction. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I said, you need to spend some time surfing the net for some of the great websites that are available on basic luremaking. One good place to start is [url "http://www.luremaking.com/howto/index.htm"]LUREMAKING[/url][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks--I already found the lure making website. It's great! It has a 64 page pdf file that is basically a lure making guide--awesome.

I was wondering if you ever make any spoons from scratch? I saw some stuff on the net about making them from old spoons from the kitchen, baby spoons, etc., and that intrigued me a bit.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sure, you can make spoons from almost any kind of metal. I have messed around with cutting and hammering out old teaspoons, etc. They make good novelty lures, but you can buy quality lure blanks so cheaply that it really doesn't save you much to make your own from "scratch"...unless your time isn't worth much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One interesting note is that I used to make some buzzbait blades out of the aluminum snipped from beer cans. They were soft and easily "tune-able", but they worked. I had a lure I made that I called a "Coors Crawler".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can also make some good jigging spoons by hammering copper or aluminum tubing flat and then bending it to shape, grinding the corners smooth, drilling the holes for ring eyes, etc. If you want heavy deep jigging lures, hammer one end of a piece of tubing flat, fill it with lead and then hammer the other end closed. I used to make these for deep jigging for rock fish off the California coast. You can paint them any color you want and then hang a big old treble decorated with a bass skirt on them. They really work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also make my own poppers, chuggers and crankbaits from 1" wooden dowels. All you need is a good sander/grinder (Dremel), some screw eyes, propeller blades and/or diving bills, etc. Paint em up and cast 'em. Cheap and effective. See pic.[/#0000ff]
[signature]