Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conserving for the future.
Just thought I'd start a dialog on ways to conserve fuel,electricity etc. Five years ago I put in a pellet stove and got two of my friends and my Uncle to try them. They in turn have convinced three other people to switch. Over the past two years I've put in energy saving bulbs through out the house to save on electricity. Replaced two anderson windows with a thicker unit for a greater R-value. Thought about a windmill, but the cost seems to outway the savings at this point. Has anyone done something unique to save on energy? Let us know and share ideas. Fisherman can change the future, as I always say.
[signature]
I wish I had the means by which to improve my situation. Not just for the conservation of energy, but for the conservation of my light bill. LOL, no matter what your motivation, it's a good idea to be conservative. In a few years, i'll have my boat and truck payed off, and I intend on building a house. When that house is constructed, I intend on having double the insulation of a regular house, along with having a fireplace in every major room of the house. I even humored the thought of solar power, but i'm ignorant as to the maintenance and things of that nature. It might not be worth the hassle and money of having a system like that installed.

What is your take on Solar Power?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]I guess it depends on what they charge per kilowatt in your area. When I lived in the state of WA, the cost per kilowatt was around 5 cents which was cheap. Here in SoCal the basis rate is .029/per kw. Which is equivilant to burning a 40 watt bulb for 10 minutes. LOL Now it can run as high as .297 cents / kw depending on usage. My last bill had 23 different rates. Some people had bills close to $500. If I didn't cut back mine would be close $400/mo. With that said people are starting to install solar systems. The state & power companies will kick in several $1000 to off set ones initial cost. Once in full operation one could have negective usage at given times. At that point they are generating so much electricity that then sell it back to their power company. In SoCal the sun seems to shin just about every day. Haven't seen a rainy day since last April. Although it drizzle 2 or 3 times. From what I understand to be cost effective one needs a lot of sun shiney days. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
the best way for us to save energy is to manufacture bicycle cars. move to with in a mile of where we work. rebuild the inner cities before we over develop the out skirts with needless sprawl.

reduce family sizes to one child per family world wide.

feed peta members more soybean. "tofurky" Happy turkey day.....
[signature]