Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing question
Does it matter what I use for backing? I have a a lot of Braided line (#50 and #40)and I was thinking about using that.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Hi there Bass_Ackwards - [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]Backing generally comes in 3 different weights 12, 20 & 30 lbs. The rod weight determines the weight of your backing. If your backing is too heavy your fly line won’t be properly spooled. For what one has spent for their rod, reel & fly line the expense of adding the proper backing is rather negligible. Following is some info that I cut & pasted from a line manufacturer.[/green][/size][/font]

[black]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][black]Gel-Spun Maximum Strength with Up to 60% More Capacity than Dacron. 35-lb.-test Gel-Spun Backing gives you more capacity than using 20-lb. Dacron, which is why it is the backing of choice for big-game angling. Braided from gel-spun polyethylene, this incredible backing is 10 times stronger than steel in equal diameters. A very small diameter for higher yardage on the reel means slower spool rpms on runs and faster pickups. Gel-Spun has virtually no stretch, is extremely abrasion-resistant, yet has a very low coefficient of friction so it will not damage your guides, and retains 100% of its strength while in the water[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][black]Dacron Braided backing is braided white Dacron precision processed with uniform strength. Twelve pound test is for light lines and smaller reels. Twenty pound test is for trout, bass, and most freshwater fishing. Thirty pound test is for salmon and saltwater.[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[/black]
[signature]
For most trout fishing backing is not all that important. You want lots of backing for fish that are going to take a lot of backing like bone fish or carp. They say Northern Pike will take you into your backing but they are sprinters that tire quickly so they are not going to need lots of backing. Stronger backing means it is thicker in diameter thus means less yardage of backing on the spool as the the thicker diameter eats up more room on the spool.

The backing on my 5 weight, which is used for trout fishing, is mostly there to fill the spool up as much as possible so that the fly line ends near the top of the spool which also means that it takes a few less cranks on the of the handle to reel up the line as the fly line itself is on the spool at a slightly larger diameter. Thus the size of the backing is not important.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#80bf00]I have to answer yes and no on this. I use Large Arbors so to me YES the backing is very important. I have had several Trout take me to my backing specially rainbow.[/#80bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#80bf00]I use 20lb dacron on all reels with exception to my 2wt which is on a LA I. Very small reel so very little backing. So I went with the 12 on it. On my CFO's I use 20lb. and on my BBS IV I use 20lb for my Steelhead reel. I figure they get into my backing more than 150 ft. I am going to loose my line anyway. Knock on wood, that hasn't happened yet.[/#80bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#80bf00]Gel spun is nice, but for the price I can only see it if you are lacking in backing space or Saltwater. Smaller diameter for strength, but it is hard has heck to cut and it can cut your line and reel hub.[/#80bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#80bf00]Speaking of the cutting line and reel hub is why I recommend as DR said, go with fly line backing. Really is the cheapest part of the set-up. And for those that think you could use more backing to get your line out on the spool more, don't be afraid to add to you existing backing with a surgeon's knot or other good knot.[/#80bf00][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#80bf00][/#80bf00][/font]
[signature]