Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that make you go Hmmmm?
I keep hearing of rivers that have an over aboundance of fish and over the years of fishing these areas they fish the opposite of what I am being led to believe. Maybe the Ogden has changed this year but there was deffinately not an over aboundant population of stunted browns. Come to think of it for me it has not had a good population for about 6 years. The same seems to be true of the Provo around the Vivian park area. 10 years of taking students there to fish we have seen a steady decline in the numbers of fish the students have caught there. It actually came to the point that it was no longer worth it for the teacher to take students there.

So my question is: were the h e double toothpicks is an over populated streach of river that I can catch a fish? I would love to catch stunted fish after stunted fish.
[signature]
I've fished a hundred or more rivers and streams within a days drive of SLC in the past 5 years and can only think of 2 where I thought the fish were overpopulated and stunted. Late June 2005 Robinson Creek a trib of the Warm River in Idaho was stuffed full of little brookies. You couldn't keep them off your hook but only 1 in 10 was 12 inches. Last year Thistle Creek was packed full of skinny browns that ran 12 to 19 inches. This spring the fish where fewer and much healthier looking there. I haven't fished Thistle this fall but twice as I've found other tributaries of Spanish Fork with more willing and bigger browns. Landed about a dozen browns from 12 to 18 inches in 2 hours fishing on Turkey day. 2 where 18 inches and 1 was 17 inches. They are a little skinner post spawn than they where 2 to 3 weeks ago but that is to be expected after a couple of weeks of sex and not eating. My wife had the digital camera but I did get a couple pictures on a disposable camera that'll get developed with a CD soon.
[signature]
[reply]I keep hearing of rivers that have an over aboundance of fish and over the years of fishing these areas they fish the opposite of what I am being led to believe. Maybe the Ogden has changed this year but there was deffinately not an over aboundant population of stunted browns. Come to think of it for me it has not had a good population for about 6 years. The same seems to be true of the Provo around the Vivian park area. 10 years of taking students there to fish we have seen a steady decline in the numbers of fish the students have caught there. It actually came to the point that it was no longer worth it for the teacher to take students there.
[/reply]

Question: Things that make me go hmmm?
Answer: Quotes like the one above!

Fish surveys on both the Ogden and Provo are showing large populations of stunted trout--specifically browns. What you must realize is that heavily fished streams are homes to educated trout...just because the food base is not big enough to support the population does not mean the trout will be readily caught. So, where is a stretch of river with a stunted population of trout that is easily caught? I could name a few: Deer Creek (Boulder Mountain), Monroe Creek, Fish Creek (Beaver Mountain), Corn Creek, Sevenmile Creek, Upper Fremont River, upper Salina Creek, and Shingle Creek (to get started). But, personally, I would avoid the creeks/streams/rivers with stunted populations and hit some streams with readily caught trout without the stunted population. Try fishing the Sevier River in Marysvale Canyon during the winter, any small creek in canyons, UM Creek, Sixth Water, East Fork of Smith's Fork, West Fork of Smith's Fork, Black's Fork, Clear Creek, and Lost Creek. Avoid the heavily fished areas and you should catch fish.
[signature]
OK Wormandbobber you just gave away a third of my favorite fishing holes. Interesting I fish none of the places that you list as having stunted fish other than I do fish the Provo occasional up in the National Forest. I admit it I like catching tons of fish and that means usually staying away from the highly educated ones. Just don't give away the other 2/3 of my favorite places to fish because I enjoy my solitude and catching uneducated fish left and right.
[signature]
James, I have a great secret spot within 20 minutes from Layton to catch 50+ Brown's and occasional Rainbow and every once in a great while a Splendid Cutt. Without letting the cat too far out of the bag, it won't open til April 1st....... PM me if interested. Thanks Todd
Please tell me [url "mailto:jmac@standarddrywall.com"]jmac@standarddrywall.com[/url]. Thanks Mactuna I never keep any fish as to not deplete your secret hole
[signature]
I thought I read the lake was going to open April 14 not the first. And that's got to be more than 20 minutes from Layton.
[signature]
I grew up by the Ogden River, and have fished it for 15+ years. I believe that in the Canyon, there is an over population of browns. Below the canyon... you are exactly right.

I think it is due to the fact that the lower get hammered by fisherman, year round. In the canyon, the access is much more difficult. [Smile]
[signature]