Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington's ICE is on Fire!!
ok it's not going to stay a secret much longer so here it is..

went up to huntington this morrning me and my boy tommy. when we got there seen kent and his party allready out on the ice fishing.. seen 2 other party's going on as well, 1 down by the dam looked like 3 or 4 guy's and one lone soul over on the west side..

tommy and i got set up and was fishing when port-a-homer,wife and dad inlaw showed up to partake in the fish fest... great to fish with you guy's again!!

fishing was great we had fish comeing through all day with some up to 21 to 22 inches.. great day on the ice!!

ice was around 3" thick and very slick..
[signature]
Wow! Glad you guys could get out. Looks like a great time!
Maybe next week for me.
Congrats on getting out early!
[signature]
Great report. Nice fish. Good looking ice and cold temps. Hopefully these cold temps get colder and stay longer. Keep up the good work.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
great report and pictures fuzzy. maybe i will try it next weekend.
thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Great report Ron! Wish it was closer.[unimpressed]
[signature]
Thanks for the update Fuzzy. I wish those photos where a bit smaller, its taking 5 minutes to open each picture.

I am thinking about heading up tomorrow if anyone wants to catch a ride feel free to invite yourself.
[signature]
Well now Fuzzy let the secret out. He is right the action at Hunting is HOT. I posted a picture on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=100;"][#800080]2006-07 Utah ice fishing challenge[/#800080][/url] page. I went down Friday with Out4Trout and spent 10 hours on the ice. In that 10 hours I caught over 30 fish and my boy caught around 30 fish. I had to move 3 time to keep catching fish.

If you head down there use extreme caution while out on the ice. Friday there was still an open patch in the center right next to the dam, it may be frozen over by now but will be thin ice until next week.

Ron how big is the fish you caught in the picture? I managed to pull out an 18 inch Tiger through the ice. I saw a few in the 16 to 17 inch range Friday but nothing big.
[signature]
I was a late arrival today but caught quite a few . Some of that ice looked to be only 1.5" up by the dam and there is still open water . It crack every step I took on it but held me . Just be careful out there .
[signature]
yeah tell me about the pic's! it took 5 min's to load the darn things to! they are from my new camera i got for my Anniversary 2 day'd ago.. so i did not know they would be that big.. i'll have to down size the pic's..
[signature]
My computer auto sesizes them. No probs.
[signature]
one way i do it is just send the picture to yourself in an e-mail
[signature]
Kastmaster and I were there today too, and yes, it was great to be out there. We started near the dam in 10-15 ft of water. As was said, there is an open spot in the middle, but on each side of it the ice was 4 inches thick. There was very little going on at this depth, so we moved deeper. We didn't catch very much until we hit about 20-24 ft depth. Then it got very fun. It seemed that we both had fish on the finder almost continuously, all afternoon. A majority of the fish would not hit or just tap it, but plenty also were caught. (20+ or so for me, George about the same) No giant ones for us, but we both got a 16 incher and numerous 14 inchers. We found pink and reddish jigs worked best. We tipped with mealworms or crawlers. Fished from 9:30 to 4.

If you park at the dam in the next few days, do not walk straight across the ice from the East side to the West. The open water is right in the middle of the lake, next to the dam and extending out about 50-75 yards. It may sneak up on you. If you want to fish on the west side, either walk on the dam or right next to it or walk to the first point on the East side and go across there. Be safe and have fun.
[signature]
I figured you'd be up there today Ron. Nice pics and great report.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Doesn't your computer know how to resize your pics for your avatar? They are only supposed to be a maximum of 150 pixels. Yours are always far too big. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have been warned.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PS...just to remind your computer, here is a 150 pixel version of your new avatar. (see attached)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yep, Smittyts, Tincanfsh and I fished Huntington yesterday. We were the first ones on the ice (at about 7:15 AM), and almost the last ones to leave (at 5:00 PM). What a great day on Huntington! Our group managed to get 118 tiger trout on the ice. At least two thirds of them were caught by about 1:00 PM. Tony caught the four largest of the day, with his largest going 21 inches. Had a big laugh when Billy had a fish jump out of the water trying to grab his jig as he lifted his jig out of the water. The fish actually landed on the ice for a couple seconds before it was able to find its way back down the hole. First time I ever saw that happen out on the ice. We fished most of the day in about 24 feet of water, and for most of the morning nearly all fish were caught less than 10 feet under the ice. Any jig with a smaller hook tipped with a chunk of minnow, piece of crawler or a meal worm worked.
[signature]
Sounds like an awesome day Kent! Congrats on catching all those tigers.
[signature]
o.k. now you've done it. the fien is on! i especially like the clean ice effect. somewhat magical, wouldn't you say? perfect for icescates, or chair scates. those chairs slide sweet. makes for a fun day, even if the fish aren't biting. great post and pics. congrats on your success. laters
[signature]
I thought that was you when I passed by yesterday . I fished by the dam with the freeform group . Lost a real nice one that I hooked up on only 5' under the ice .
[signature]
[cool]Wow, way to go, Fuzzy. We didn't get any that big, but on Friday and Saturday we had a blast up there and got tons of fish. It was non stop action for the time that CBR, fishingwaters and his son and I were there Friday. Saturday was killer too as CBR, BassAckwords, two of his friends and I were there kicking butt, but I had to leave at 10:00 to get down to Salt Lake to personally witness the best Rivalry game of all time between Utah and BYU. What an awesome weekend!! We were the ones you saw down by the dam.

The ice fishing is really starting to heat up and there will be more places frozen up by this weekend like Scofield and Mud Creek Bay at Strawberry. Then, a week after that and Mantua, Rock Cliffs etc. should be good to go too. If anyone doesn't believe that, then check out the following news story in the Trib today:

[url "http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4725952"]http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4725952[/url]

And...here's my favorite line in the story...
Wilensky said Utahns better finish their outdoor chores, because the state is about to get "bitterly cold."
[signature]
Tried my luck at Huntington today. Only seen five other fishermen. I only fished for 4 hours and iced some where around 20+/-. Like Kent said, they where hitting right on the bottom and all the way up to the hole. I could see them chasing the jig as I brought it up. Heres a photo of a 15" chubby tiger trout.
[signature]