Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sinkers for hardbaits
For home made hard baits, what are the thoughts on placing a small split shot about 12" above the lure instead of trying to weight the lure itself?

What is the best way to preserve the action of a hard bait made of cedar or pine, I guess is the issue. I know I prefer unweighted nymphs for my flyfishing, because the weight alters the action. I would prefer to use a small strip of twist on lead or sinking tip, but that, too, alter the action somewhat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lots of anglers fish floating hardbaits with weights to get them down. Some think that the action of the floating Rapalas is better than the sinking models in the same sizes and colors. They either add one or more splitshot, a ways up the line, or rig some kind of sliding sinker rig or even a crescent trolling sinker if they are dragging the lure behind the boat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have two different slants on "sinking floaters" that I have used effectively over the years. One is rigging them "Carolina" style...with a sliding sinker setup. I use a 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz. egg sinker...depending on how deep I am fishing or how far I have to cast and how large the floating lure is. I thread the line through the sliding sinker and tie off to a barrel swivel. On the other end of the barrel swivel I tie a leader of anywhere from two to five feet in length. I find an area with relatively clean bottom, cast out and let the rig go to the bottom. Then, I open the bail and let out some line, to let the floater rise up a ways, before reeling it back down. Or, I drop the rod tip to only let the lure float up a few inches to a couple of feet before hauling it back down. The effect is an injured minnow trying to dive to the bottom, but not being able to make it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also fish that rig by casting out and either dragging or reeling it a few feet at a time. By pausing between motions, you allow the lure to float up and then you drag it or crank it to create action. Sometimes deadly on several predator species. Because it is a sliding sinker, you have no trouble feeling the sometimes savage whacks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A variation on that is rigging "drop shot" style, with a sinker on the bottom and your lure on a short dropper a couple of feet up. The shorter the dropper leader the less action, but it will wiggle and jiggle good without being reeled.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably one of the most effective ways to sink and fish a floating hardbait is by rigging a "tandem" rig...using a leadhead jig a couple of feet up the line from the floating lure. Use a blood knot dropper, with your favorite feather, tube or twister jig on a six to eight inch dropper. Cast the combo out and let it sink to the desired depth. Vary your retrieve speed and depth until you find the zone. The double choice sometimes triggers strikes on either (or both) of the lures and increases your chances of a hookup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, that last setup also works good with spinners. Just be sure to use a three way swivel to attach the dropper and spinner leaders or you can get a twisted mess. Actually, I usually use only a small barrel swivel, with jig and main line attached to the top ring and the spinner on the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you wanna do some bottom bouncing with a floating lure, make the dropper rig, but pinch on a couple of split shot on the dropper and make the leader long enough to allow it to drag the bottom but still keep the lure up out of snagging range. If you snag the split shot on the end of the line, you can usually pull on them and pull them free without losing your expensive lure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lastly, I do not recommend adding extra weights to any hardbait. It can only slow down the action if you don't balance it right.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That enough ideas for one session?[/#0000ff]
[signature]