Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold and Hot at Huntington
I was also up at Huntington ice fishing this Saturday. Burr! It was very cold and windy. Fishing was pretty hot though. We fished over by the dam in about 21 feet of water. Lot of fish on the fish finder. We used small jigs, mealworms, and also wax worms. I would have tried some night crawlers but I was in such a rush to meet with my Dad to go that I forgot to check them. Yep, all of them were rotten. I heard that night crawlers were working the best so I was bummed that I couldn't try them. The biggest fish that I caught was an 18 inch cutthroat. I knew there were cutts in there but that is the first one that I have ever caught also the only one so far. The rest of the fish we caught were Tigers between 5 and 16 inches. It was a little cold but well worth the good fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report and welcome to the site. Sounds like a cold day, how long did you stay out there? WH2
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, BHOOKED, and welcome to BFT. I'm just curious as to how many folks were up there yesterday after all of our reports from the gang that went up last weekend. Was there a ton of people? Congrats on the cut. Those guys are few and far between up there. Our of the 60 or so fish I caught up there in two days last weekend, I only caught one cut, and only saw one other one caught out of my groups too...
[signature]
We also hit Huntington and I agree with BHOOKED's report........ Very Cold!!! I fished with Widastick and my 11 yr old son. My son had it easy..... he spent the day in my little ice shack while me and Widastick battled with the elements. The "W" blew ALL day. It was 7 degrees (that's what the truck thermometer showed ) when we got there a little before sun up and that didn't include the wind chill. And I don't think it got much above 15 maybe 20 degrees all day long. Just a guess as we didn't have a thermometer on the ice. And when the sun went behind the mountain at the end of the day.... the temps dropped FAST!!! I hate to fish with gloves but had to throw them on a few times to warm up [crazy]. As far as the fish..... we didn't do as good as it sounds like some of the groups did but we faired alright. Had fish on the finder all day long. The bite was definately light and we missed multiple fish but it was definately worth the trip. We tipped our jigs with nightcrawlers and minnows with similar success on both. Nothing over about 17 inches and everything we caught went back for another time.

It was good to get that first ice trip in!!! Can't wait for the next one!!![Smile]
[signature]
Out4Trout,

I would say there were probably between 15 or 20 groups up there ranging anywhere from 2 to 8 guys/gals. We didn't have any problems in moving around. We also fished by the dam. The 15 to 20 groups include the ones that parked and fished about mid-lake.
[signature]
We were out there from 7:30am until about 2:00pm.
[signature]
Sorry for not being able to answer your questions any faster. I don't have an internet connection at home, just at work and at the in-laws house. The bite was very light and we missed several hook ups as well. I changed to a very light weight jig and so my line wasn't taught, any time I saw my line move at all I would set the hook. I didn't miss as many after that.
[signature]