Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diameter or Color? What's really matters?
I've heard so many anglers refer to the importance of line color versus the color of the water they are fishing. I've also heard many anglers preach of the importance of down sizing the line test in order to get spooky fish to bite. Many times you can't get the cake and eat it too, so you have to choose which approach to take. Of course, flourocarbon leaders are top notch for thier camo'ing affect in the water. But what if that's not an option or just not practical. I've always catored to both color and diameter, and with todays new age of super braids, it's easier than ever to accomplish this feat. But when you're talking light tackle for spooky, over sized game fish, using braid may not be the best choice. Personally, I feel like choosing the minimum line test to achieve the smaller diameter is the best choice. Why? It's simple. Line comes in many different colors now: red, blue, green, yellow, neon colors, clear/white, orange, and just about any other you can imagine. I'ved used most of them and noticed that the color doesn't matter so much as how thick the line is in the water; as to if you can see it or not. I've read that certain fish can see certain colors better than other and blah blah blah. I think it's a bunch of ballacks. Sure it's true, but seriously guys, if it's a different color than the exact color of the water, then the fish can't help but notice it up close. But when the diameter is very small, even up close, a line totally different in coloration than the water can't be seen as well as a thicker line that is suppose to "blend in" with the water. Don't believe me? Put on a set of goggles and hit the water. I think your findings will be surprising. It's pretty interesting to see how a blue or clear line that almost matches the water you're fishing in stands out like a sore thumb. But a thinner line is much harder to spot, and by the time the fish sees the line, they've already commited and it's too late. I know i'm not the only one that has experimented with this concept, and i'm curious to see how the pole pans out. Please respond with you thoughts, i'm curious to hear about your past experiances as well are the other BFT members![cool]
[signature]
I've used red green blue clear yellow florecent. Icatch fish on all of them. the lakes around here are stained and you get maybe 3 feet af visibilty on a good day so I don't really know if either play a factor unless you are in clear water.
I don't like high visibility lines much. But I also have not done well in the past on heavier lines. A buddy of mine who used to catch ginormous browns on 2 and 4# test, had a theory that the fish are able to not only see the heavier lines, but also to sense the movement in them much easier. He used to fish right next to us, and anecdotally, his theory seemed quite correct. I personally think it's a combination of both.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Since I use leaders most of the time, I don't think that the color or diameter of the main line is too critical in regards to the presentation itself. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I currently have several Hi-Vis lines spooled up on various reels. In many fishing applications, I like being able to see my main line. I don't know how important it is to keep that line obscurred from the fish, because I use low visibility leaders at the business end of the rig. Additionally, I am pretty sure that we don't really know what fish think of the things that they do see. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Most often, I use florocarbon for the terminal end of my rigging. And, since florocarbon is basically invisible, the main consideration there is that the size of the leader be such that I won't have a break off due to a lack of line strength or abrasion resistance. [/size][/black]
[signature]
I totally agree with you on all your points. I also like to be able to see my main line, especially when i'm trolling. Sometimes the lures I drag tend to get offcourse and that can cause a mess.

The reason I didn't include Flourocarbon leaders into the conversation is because they are, infact, the obvious choice in alot of situations. They are, with out question, the best choice for a low visability leader.

But, I was targeting this question more towards the less complicated angler. I would say 2/3 of all anglers have never used a flourocarbon leader or spooled up a top shot of mono on their braid line. That same number probably also don't know how to attach 2 types of line together anyhow. That same 2/3 of anglers are still concered with obtaining knowledge to increase their "body count." This could easily be done by selecting the correct color and diameter line for the application. There really is no right or wrong answer, as you stated before; we have no idea what the fish are really thinking. However, we can use our own personal experiance in hopes of maybe clarifying some of the rumors about line. [cool]
[signature]
I have to go with diameter on this. Now that I use Fireline and PowerPro I catch more fish no matter what color I use. Though I'll only use charcoal in weeds.
[signature]
i would also go with diameter.the thinner the line,the more you can make the bait look more natural,the thicker lines may get detured by currant or wind.
since i also switched to fireline,i have noticed while bottom fishing i can use less weight than i did with mono
[signature]