Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st time lures
Well, let's see if this will work:

These are the lures I have made on my first attempt at luremaking. What a kick--the lures aren't all that, but I still can't wait to cast one out and see if I can catch anything. [signature]
[signature]
I changed the file type to internet exchange gif file. its half the size of a bitmap file.

to do it all you need do is open it in bitmap the click save as and select the file type you would like to save it as.

we try not to post any pictures larger than 450 pixils wide.

to find out how wide your pictures are right click on them and select properties.

any way I left them the same size and uploaded them as attachments.
[signature]
Thx [blush]
I'm pc savvy, but have never gotten the jist of changing the size of my photos for some reason.

What'd ya think of the lures? Not bad for someone with a missing chromosome or two...
[signature]
since you asked...
[ul] [li]Design, what can I say, when your good your good.[/li] [li]Your wire twisting is by far superior to mine.[/li] [li]powder paints, not bad for a beginner, you will develop a nack in time. better than my first time at it.[/li] [li]one sugestion. nothing to to with your work. try adding a little buck tail to a few of your spinners.[/li][/ul]
squirl tail hare it number one, deer hair makes a fine buck tail spinner, Even fethers can make a nice streemer affect when just a plain spinner dosnt to any thing for the fish.

any cheep fly tying kit will to the job.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Looking good. As you acquire more different paints and body options you should develop a real arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You have done well for short time you have been at it. It is obvious that you have the basic talents. Now you have to practice and learn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Tell your wife that I said it was okay.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the comments, though I think the work less aesthetically pleasing than you guys let on. I appreciate the encouragement.

I can't wait to try some more stuff--bucktails, jig spinners, etc.

I'm waiting to order a vise, so will consider maybe picking up a few ready made bucktail/streamer treble hooks until I start tying.

Unfortunately, I ordered very basic stuff. Now I want a lot more. Can you Dave/TubeDude, comment on the pricing of stuff at Cabelas? Do you think it close to inexpensive as ordering online, or will I pay huge mark-ups?
[signature]
Do you think the wire on this link can be used for spinners, or will it be too flexible? If it can be used, what diameter do you recommend for the ultra lures I've been making? You mentioned a lighter wire, Pat, but I can't remember which it was.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...&noImage=0
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We have a Cabelas store about 20 minutes from where I live. Naturally I thought I would no longer have to order online. Alas, while their instore prices are pretty much the same as online prices (but I have to pay tax instead of delivery), their selection sucks. I can find very little in jig making supplies, with the exception of a few hooks and off and on some paints. They do not carry even a fraction of what they sell online.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The wire at Cabelas is what I buy. Look at the column for "diameter". Go down to .022 and .024. That is good for light spinners. Go one or two sizes up for heavier stuff. I also get wire from other sources, depending on when I need what and where I am placing an order. But, Cabelas is good quality and competitive in price.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks--I won't bother to make a special trip then.

Where do you buy most of your jig paints and glitter? Is there a good online source with a lot of variety and painting supplies?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some things, like the vinyl jig enamel, are available from several sources. However, it pays to make notes of the prices of the various items you buy most because some sources can be much higher/lower than others. There is NOT any single universal source of all the goodies I use, and the prices and service do vary. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's a basic rundown of the sources I use for most of my "stuff":[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cabelas...bulk Colorado blades for Roadrunners, 4 oz. size jig enamel and several types of hooks. Also wire, some lure bodies and various feathers and other fly tying goodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lurecraft...a new source for glitters and paints, at reasonable prices.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Janns...lots of lure parts, fly tying materials, rod building components, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Barlows...The only source for the transparent metallic jig enamel paints. Also one of the best sources for glitter. Also a good source for jig molds and many different kinds of hooks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bass Pro Shop...very little anymore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stamina...another new source for various lure making stuff. Good for swivels and split rings. Good prices on paints.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rustic Escentuals...A candle making supply outlet that sells a line of shimmer dust (glitter) in colors not available anywhere else. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those are the basics. I often buy something from a supplier which might have a slightly higher price, only because I need to order something else from them and don't want to wait to order from my regular source. With shipping costs and delays you sometimes have to make concessions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if you are not familiar with any of those or if you need website links.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the rundown [Smile]

I placed another order with Stamina, and picked up a few things from Janns. I ordered some paints, but forgot the glitter! Worst case I know I can pick some of that up locally.

I ordered the basic colors of vinyl--red, yellow, black, white, both yellow and green chartreuse, flo red, and then two colors that looked promising for smallmouth stuff--watermelon (darkish green) and pumpkin (dark orange-ish brown). I ordered these from Stamina.

I had an idea for lure bodies--I checked the prices on aluminum, brass, and copper rod, and for 6' lengths it's all very inexpensive. Brass and copper are the cheapest. I can easily drill a center hole in rod stock that is 5/32" or 1/4", in 1/2-1" lengths, round the edges, and whatever else. Thought I would give that a try, as I really like the longer bodies, but would prefer a rounded end, instead of the taper offered in the brass lure bodies. They come in rough, unpolished finishes, which should take paint well. I am a great fan of the rooster tail type lure, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm also getting some spoon blanks to start.

Can you get tiny spoons anywhere? The smallest I found were 1/8 oz. and an inch long at least.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I haven't been able to find small spoon blanks either. I used to use some Little Cleos and other spoons that were quite small and worked well. I would like to be able to make some too, but have not been successful in finding blanks. Also tough to find brass finish blanks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'll tell you though, that the roadrunner (pony jig) heads, with a spinner blade, make an acceptable substitute. I dress them with various jig materials or even fish them "naked", as in the accompanying pic of the tiger with the plain RR jighead.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I probably catch over half of the fish I catch on roadrunner jigs of different sizes and colors. I cast and retrieve them, bottom bounce them and vertical jig them. They work great under the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should look at getting a jig mold for those and adding them to your arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Awesome! Thanks for the tip, again. I will likely have to purchase some of the jig heads first, then get into the pouring. I definitely intend to pick up a mold, though. Wow, this is fun stuff.

I would really like to try a black RR jig head, with black chenille, and either a copper or black nickel colorado spinner from STamina (their black nickel stuff is great, and they have brass and copper spoons).
[signature]
TubeDude,

What do you think about the blanks here on pg 3

http://www.worthco.com/fish/pdf/spoons.pdf
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You've been hangin' 10 on the net. Those are the first good looking brass blanks I have seen. Not sure I would wanna buy in quantities of 1000 though.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well,
They are so cheap, and if you don't think the extra shipping would be too much, I'd be willing to split an order of the small ones with you. Either of us could pay the other through paypal.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]In one of your emails you asked me how I decided which lure to use (since I have so many). I did not answer. The only answer I can give is that I use my mental database to suggest what is going to work best under the current conditions...water, temp, clarity, species, light intensity, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Knowing what I know of my fishing opportunities and preferences...and trying to guess how many more years I will be fishing...I doubt that I would ever use more than a couple of dozen of those at most.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Trying to rationalize how much money I would be saving is what got me into the current "overstocked" position I am now in, with a room full of stuff I will likely never use up. I have saved enough money to almost pay for the stuff I have already paid for. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got it?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Lol, okay. Just thought I'd ask. Hopefully all those spoon blades will keep me warm in the garage, where I'll be sleeping when my wife opens the package.
[signature]
And regarding which lures you use, it sounds like I just need to apply the same logic I used for fly fishing. That is exactly what I used to do--look at the water, the current, or lack of, scan the shallows for any aquatic life, figure which minnows, if any would be around, etc. I can try the same thing with the lures, especially, it sounds like, with jigs. I'm kind of fired up to try some RR jigs. Do you fish those in rivers as well as still water?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Roadrunners can be sized, colored and adapted to almost any fishing condition. I make them in sizes from 1/48 oz. to 2 oz. I fish them from a fly rod, on ultralight spinning gear, on baitcast rigs and on heavy tackle for deep jigging, casting or trolling in salt water or in deep lakes for big fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A 1/16 oz. RR on a size 6 or 4 hook, dressed with crawdad colors, can be deadly when you make upstream casts and bounce it down in the current. It can work just as well fished as a spinner, by casting cross current or even downstream and worked back upstream through pockets and next to the bank.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I probably use it more for bottom bouncing and vertical jigging, while tubing in freshwater lakes, but believe me, I have fished a RR just about every way it can be fished. I am still trying to find a species that won't hit them. No luck yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]